1971 SPORTROOF RESTORATION

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exceso

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback Mustang (resto procesS)
2000 Mustang GT (street racer)
Hello all,

Its been a long time since I was here, when I bought my 1971 mustang 2 years ago, finally a couple of month started to restore sheet metals had to change the radiator support, cut out trunk floor and replace it plus some other fixing and denting.

Will try the explain a little bit the story and use this same thread for all the future updataes.

Bought this baby on a bar find thanks to a friend on the local Mustang Club here in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

Car didn't run, was all abandoned former owner had passed away about 5 years ago so the widow just store it there, internal fight started between the sons to keep this car, eventually bought it from the widow and the journey started, took by tow truck to the workshop and find out if we could get it started, after redoing electrical system, oil change, filters, etc...  it finally woke up and engine was just fine, we had to change a lot of stuff for the brakes but eventually got them working like new again, after 2 or 3 weeks  I decided it was time to take it to the workshop and get that metal reviewed.

Front of the car besides the age it was, was very good, problem was the back of the car, hay chihuahua hahaha, trunk since day one i new it needed new sheet metals, but it appeared in some point of this car life, it got rear ended and even though it was fixed ok, at the moment our worker started to scrap the paint, they realize that they never fixed the dents, they just fill it all with automotive putty, therefore a lot of work has been done on the back.

Trunk floor was competely changed by a new one, some patches were inserted on the side and inner fenders, started on the front end and definately the radiator support had to be replaced with also a new one (cjponyparts are getting rich hahaha), hood also was replaced by the hood scoop style, rest of the car like doors, trunk lid are in great conditions.

Next week we are going to start doing the interior of the car, never the less in the stetic aspect of the inside, everything had to be replaced, already have the headliners, floor mats, floor heatshield, headlight that goes in headliner, etc... basically I am missing the door panels, center console, steering wheel and front seats.

If there is someone here that knows more webpages to order parts with some cool discounts it would be really appreciated.

Below you will find pictures in the order, being the inside pictures from today, will post updates every couple of days.

Stripes will be painted, does anyone has the measures for the hood?

Any advice while we are still working on bare car will be much appreciated too.

imagenes gif gratis

Wow :cool:

Excellent!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool. Is that a mexi stand with a Windsor?
unfortunately someone changed it to 302, but I am will install a 351w down the path with some top end kit  ::devil::

Very cool. Is that a mexi stand with a Windsor?
unfortunately someone changed it to 302, but I am will install a 351w down the path with some top end kit  ::devil::
 Very cool. I have spent a lot of time in Mexico. I love Puerto Vallarta and Querétaro. Spent considerable time in both places. I am always fascinated with the Mexican Mustangs. 

Back