Gas Tank sending unit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So does anybody know who makes an accurate fuel gauge sending unit? I got one from CJ's and its grossly inaccurate.
You should be able to bend the arm to get it to read properly, only thing that sucks is its trial and error. You have to keep installing and removing it.

the ford manual stated you had to install the sender then fill tank with 5 gallons of fuel if the gauge was off you needed to drain the fuel, remove the sender and bend the float arm, then do the entire thing again until the gauge read about 1/4 tank.

yes they are a pain in the butt.. i can't tell u how many times i had to drain and adjust it on my fairlane.. luckily my tank has a drain plug, i replaced it with a pit cock to drain easier and control flow...

So does anybody know who makes an accurate fuel gauge sending unit? I got one from CJ's and its grossly inaccurate.
Mine, too.  It reads "Full" just fine, but drops to under 1/4 tank at about the 1/2 tank level.  Oh well, I guess it'll always make sure I never run out of gas, eh? :whistling:  :shootself:

rofl

interesting!! I'm shortly going to be replacing my tank, so I'll be sure to compare old and new sending units. My sender is the Spectra Premium, bought with the tank. FYI, the Spectra Premium tank is ethanol resistant up to 20%, so hopefully, no more crud in the system and I can run 94 PetroCan with 10% ethanol if needs be. I don't believe there is an SS tank for our years, would be even better!! I am going to use SS fuel lines for sure.

Also I read somewhere that a new sending unit needs to be electronically checked for Ohms resistance for acuracy. I would need to look that up, but I think I read it on the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has it been inaccurate from day one? I have found with many aftermarket sender units that the plastic float absorbs fuel after a while causing its buoyancy to decrease. The float sinks essentially during different conditions. Every time I replace a sender I always try to reuse or find a brass float to go with it.

Agree with Tony, Don's senders have the brass float and would be a safe purchase. Don works with a lot of parts manufactures, so he has a pretty good handle on what is a quality product and what is junk. The brass float is still available from Ford (COAZ-9202-B). Most of the ones offered through Summit, Scott Drake, and a lot of the Mustang parts venders are the Ford unit and much cheaper than from the dealer. But there are also some Chinese pieces out there that I've heard are very thin and leak due to poor soldering and same on the junk plastic versions. If the need for just the float ever arises, I would check with Don @ OMS to see if he stocks this float and if it is the genuine Ford unit.

Agree with Tony, Don's senders have the brass float and would be a safe purchase. Don works with a lot of parts manufactures, so he has a pretty good handle on what is a quality product and what is junk. The brass float is still available from Ford (COAZ-9202-B). Most of the ones offered through Summit, Scott Drake, and a lot of the Mustang parts venders are the Ford unit and much cheaper than from the dealer. But there are also some Chinese pieces out there that I've heard are very thin and leak due to poor soldering and same on the junk plastic versions. If the need for just the float ever arises, I would check with Don @ OMS to see if he stocks this float and if it is the genuine Ford unit.
 Good info, I'm going to look into that before I get too far into the tank replacement job.

checking the resistance just might be a go nowhere task. my '66 fairlane had a NON-linear sending unit. and if our cars have the same ull find it frustrating. u can do E and F good luck with that. i even had someone looking at the gage while i was under the tank with sending unit hooked up and move float to find mid gage then ck'd the resistance.. the new one didn't work the same so i ended up 1/4 tk reading = 1/2 fuel in tank.. lived with it. i paid like 80 bucks for it too..

Back