Door Panel - What's Needed To Put Together - How To Install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikhead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C
Some quick questions related with pieces required for the door panel and how it all goes together. Currently my mustang is getting an engine rebuild so I do not have it outside to look at. I am onto the interior and need some help with how the door panel goes together. I ordered some replacements and they look great. The problem is somethings are different. There are some images below with what I am seeing. First, where the door handle goes there is a plastic part. I am guessing that needs to be cut out, and then the door cups need to be put in? However, if so how do they attach to the panel with the handle. Second, I didn't order door handles missing them, but looks like they attach with a screw, however there is no place to attach them. Again, drilling a hole? Lastly, If I remember correctly, there was a speaker on the door panel. I had hard times finding pictures of the interior, but found one below that looks like it has maybe a vent, but mine was a circle I believe. Anyways, if anyone has any tips that would be great. My door has power windows as well, so I don't know if that matters, but not having the car in front of me at the moment I want to make sure I am getting all the parts but also know how to install them. Thanks!

Some quick questions related with pieces required for the door panel and how it all goes together. Currently my mustang is getting an engine rebuild so I do not have it outside to look at. I am onto the interior and need some help with how the door panel goes together. I ordered some replacements and they look great. The problem is somethings are different. There are some images below with what I am seeing. First, where the door handle goes there is a plastic part. I am guessing that needs to be cut out, and then the door cups need to be put in? However, if so how do they attach to the panel with the handle. Second, I didn't order door handles missing them, but looks like they attach with a screw, however there is no place to attach them. Again, drilling a hole? Lastly, If I remember correctly, there was a speaker on the door panel. I had hard times finding pictures of the interior, but found one below that looks like it has maybe a vent, but mine was a circle I believe. Anyways, if anyone has any tips that would be great. My door has power windows as well, so I don't know if that matters, but not having the car in front of me at the moment I want to make sure I am getting all the parts but also know how to install them. Thanks!

Are you changing from standard door panels to deluxe? If so, then You'll need some extra parts that are reproduced, otherwise you should have them.

First, the spring loaded part that attaches to the door and handle is a little different than a standard to accommodate a different handle.

Second, there is a "c" shaped bracket the holds the cup and long pull handle (one screw on the mettle cup goes into the door).

If I can find pics, I'll post them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pits a deluxe door panel but it's different than what's in the car now. I'm still confused lol but if I have the parts with the current deluxe door that would be great

the original door cards have some hardware and brackets that need to be transferred over there is a lower metal L bracket that supports the lower part of the handle and attaches to the lower cup for the latch handle that is not available reproduction.

you need to carefully cut the plastic for the Cup hole. what you do is CAREFULLY cut the holes for the cup that the door opening latch from behind just cut the plastic do not punch through the vinyl. then you cut the vinyl so you can wrap it through the opening and start to dry fit the plastic Cup. this is to take into account the extra room needed for the Vinyl, you then little by little open the hole in the plastic and keep wrapping the Vinyl tight and fit the cup it takes a long time but you need to get it to fit nice and straight and tight. once that is set so you are happy. you fit the handle and you need that L bracket or you have to make one that fits from the upper cup screw to the lower handle Stud. and finally the upper handle screw hole. the 3 ribs on the reproduction cards are hard to line up with the reproduction handle so you will never be perfect.

you will also need to cut the plastic for the mounting clips to adjust them, but you won't know how much until you are ready for the door mounting.

there are window wiskers that must be installed on the tops that require staples and rivets to look factory i think they tell you to use pan head screws but they look awful. there is a Door lock trim ring that has to be installed.

on the older door cards you had to install the carpet, lower trim and the wood grain inserts as well.

if you have your original cards you will need them for reference besides some donor parts.

it took me a few days over a couple weeks to get mine ready and a whole weekend to fit them to the doors when i was ready for install.

power windows and if you have a Am/FM radio in the car will require additional cutting of the door panels with Vinyl Fitting around the cuts so everything fits right.

Here are a picture of the brackets.
5636706a1b9fe0d9f5918ffc2d966dd0.jpg
2a04c18154c07106cb5e035fe39f88ad.jpg
f4b7a913b58a1c757eec868103a9599b.jpg

One will have a RH and the other will have a LH stamped on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back