Is it a lost cause?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW302

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang
302 2V V-8
Today, the bumper broke off the frame due to rust. This car has always had issues with rust. I'm starting to think its a lost cause. If it's this bad at the bumper, how bad can the rest of the frame be? In addition to this, theres rust in the engine cavity, in the wheel wells, on the body panels. The engine runs but needs a rebuild. The steering and suspension need work. And it needs cosmetic upgrades. I'm at the point where I have only two options: A) sell it or B) pay someone to do the work (rust repair and engine) I currently can't do. This car has sentimental value so I'd rather not sell it. Any thoughts?

free ebay image hosting

Yikes!!! I'd get it on a lift and start looking over the frame/sub-frame. I wouldn't drive it until then.

Last edited by a moderator:
depend, what kind of car is it, motor size? If the front is that bad what do the rear frame rails look like?

I seen worst
LOL!  I started wit' worst. rofl

If the rest of the car is worth saving, you could always replace the front frame rails, cross members, and aprons (as needed)... or if necessary, the entire front clip.  It's doable... a lot of work, but can be done ;)

If the rest of the underside is as bad as that front section, I'd consider finding a new car, transfer everything you can save from this one, and go from there.

The major rot in the picture is the bumper supports

I'm sure your going to have some issues under there on the frame, but it might not be that bad.

Remove the bumper then remove the two bumper support / mounting arms to see the frame rails

We have used bumper supports

The outer frame rails we have new as a patch panel 34.95 

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=3115

I checked the rest of the frame. It seems mostly fine. The floors need to go before their rust spreads any further. The wheel wells also have some nasty rust. 

Check the rocker panels. Even though they may look fine on the outside there may be trouble lurking. They tend to rot from the inside out!

"Too far gone" means different things to different people. Anything can be fixed. Even if all you have is a dataplate and VIN. The question becomes, is it worth it to fix what you have vs starting with something that is in better condition. There are basically two arguments for restoring. First - does the car have sentimental value? Has it been in the family since new? Was it your first car? Did you bring your new bride/kid/diploma/date/keg of beer home in it? Cost tolerance tends to rise in those situations. Only you and your sponsors can make a decision about what is appropriate - how long the restoration will take and how much will it cost. Second is rarity. Is this a rare combination of options/colors? How many were built just like it? Is it particularly desirable (and therefore resellable)? What are the current market price points for your particular case? Are they trending up/down/flat? This kind of decision is more financial than emotional, and if you are looking to eventually make your money out of the car, you will need to be cruel in your assessment. Restorations are ALWAYS more expensive than the first estimates, and you can wind up underwater pretty fast.

A third consideration, once you have sorted out what you want to do about one or two, is to decide what you want when you are done. A daily driver, a local show car, concours trailered? This will have the most impact on eventual cost.

Whatever you pick - enjoy the ride!

I saved my Mach 1 and it was in FAR worse shape. OMS supply gave me about every single replacement sheet metal part available, and I cut apart another car and made one. I got mine in the military, so I understand saving at all costs. Honestly, I replaced like 30 to 40% of my car by the time I was done. She is rust free and a beautiful shell now. I would be cautious to drive it, but more so to sell it.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Right now I've got the car in a body shop I trust where it is getting thoroughly assessed. They'll be giving me an itemized estimate for all repairs and restorations. Once I get that information, I see what my next move will be. I don't have any body work skills or tools so I'll probably be paying someone to fix it.

You're probably right in that regard, but this car holds a lot of sentimental value to me

I can appreciate sentimental value. My mustang is the second car I ever owned and replaced a 73 Mach 1 that was taken out by a drunk driver. We have been together for over 30 years. It was my daily driver for around half that time. So many memories, so many miles, so much time spent working on it. I get behind the wheel and it just feels like an old friend. Always there when I needed it (but sometimes a bit frustrating when we were not getting along). If something happens to my Mustang I can replace it but it won't 'feel the same'. That's just the truth.

Upon closer inspection, it wasn't just the bumper but the entire frame, floors, and pretty much everything on the underbelly is rusted beyond repair. It would probably cost several thousands if not tens of thousands to restore to an operational state. So looks like I'll be selling it. I'll wait until I move to a place with a garage before I buy another.

Upon closer inspection, it wasn't just the bumper but the entire frame, floors, and pretty much everything on the underbelly is rusted beyond repair. It would probably cost several thousands if not tens of thousands to restore to an operational state. So looks like I'll be selling it. I'll wait until I move to a place with a garage before I buy another.
Sorry to hear the news. Are you going to try to sell it whole or part it out?

Back