Rear window motor wont go down

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
My right rear window motor only goes up, not down. It clicks, so it shows some reaction but it doesn't move. 

It does that regardless whether I use the switch in the driver door or the one in the back next to the motor.

The motor seems not to be the culprit though.

I've tested it with the one from the left side and that motor does the same thing on the right side. The one from the right works both ways on the left switch.

What this abomination of a sentence above means is that the problem stays with the side, not the motor.

Both motors go up and down on the driver side switch and both motors only click and do not go down on the passenger side switch, so it's definitely not the motor. (I guess... ) :) 

What do I need to look for? Short that bleeds power on the circuit so the motor doesn't get enough current to go down, hence the clicking but no motion?

(Now that I typed this I realize that the passenger side front window motor is also unusually slow and sometimes just stops and only clicks. It's been doing this for years but the rear one always worked fine.)

you didn't say, but did u lube the moving parts ? it most likely is in the movement somewhere since both motors do the same. the rubber seal is very tight too??
Ok, both motors do it on the same side, both motors work on the other side. 

The windows were not even installed when I tested them so librucarion does not gone into play. Just the motors in my hands, not hooked to anything.

Sounds to me like you have a voltage drop somewhere. Could be in the switch (IE Bad switches) or a loose or arching wire. You could test the switches by pulling a switch from the other side that does work and hooking it up on the other side, if you still have the issue it isn't likely the switch but somewhere in the wiring.

Connect a voltmeter to it, see what voltage you get at the hot side of the switch before and after activation. Check the voltage at the motor when trying to run the motor up and down. Then do the same thing with a good ground connected to the motors.

Sounds to me like you have a voltage drop somewhere. Could be in the switch (IE Bad switches) or a loose or arching wire. You could test the switches by pulling a switch from the other side that does work and hooking it up on the other side, if you still have the issue it isn't likely the switch but somewhere in the wiring.
Ok, so I guess it's the wiring, as the problem appears with both the front switch in my door and the switch in the quarter panel. Or am I wrong?

Connect a voltmeter to it, see what voltage you get at the hot side of the switch before and after activation. Check the voltage at the motor when trying to run the motor up and down. Then do the same thing with a good ground connected to the motors.
I'll try that. Thanks!

Ok, so I guess it's the wiring, as the problem appears with both the front switch in my door and the switch in the quarter panel. Or am I wrong?
Could be two bad switches.

Or it could be that the window is jammed on a mechanism somewhere...

you didn't say, but did u lube the moving parts ? it most likely is in the movement somewhere since both motors do the same. the rubber seal is very tight too??
Ok, both motors do it on the same side, both motors work on the other side. 

The windows were not even installed when I tested them so librucarion does not gone into play. Just the motors in my hands, not hooked to anything.
Make sure you have a good ground in the drivers door and to the master switch and to the motors. I found that the drivers side door ground effects all window motors regardless of what side of the car or which switch you use. I had a bad (no) ground in the driver side door which caused none of the motors to operate from any switch. I temporarily grounded the door to the dash frame with a jump wire and then they all worked. Also check the window wire plugs in the foot well cowl area behind the parking brake peddle and the master switch terminals to make sure the connections are not corroded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also there is that power window relay attached to the drivers side shock tower right above the master cylinder. Check that to see if it is working and all three wires and terminals are clean and connected.

web hosting png

Back