Painting the floors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterlife

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Since I have the interior out and installing new carpet, I figure paint the whole interior section. I was going to use oil based red oxide primer, sounds good?? Also, I assume  should scrape all the "tar"(seam sealer) off and replace? With what?

Alex

Good questions...  I'll be sure to follow this post since I just tore out my interior and carpet.  I'll probably have the interior dustless blasted before doing anything but I'll definitely need to replace the seam sealer as much of that was already peeling off like old dried up paint or something.  I've seen people use that POR 15 to paint their interior panels after the seam sealer. 

Link to POR 15 video:

https://youtu.be/d4L0N3-OTcI

I wasn't sure about the seams but I just did a search and found some videos and here are some links to help us both.  ::thumb::

Links for Dynatron seam sealer:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dynatron+seam

I know of POR15, its expensive, trying to budget. Let face it, the cars will most likely never see a drop of water again. You would use seem sealer first, then paint over it?

I primed first, then seam seal and then painted. The idea is that the primer protects the surfaces in between the panels before sealing. You can prime with epoxy or Rust Bullet, depending on surface. You may try a chassis primer if you go for moderate protection.

1971 M-code Mach 1

I primed first, then seam seal and then painted. The idea is that the primer protects the surfaces in between the panels before sealing. You can prime with epoxy or Rust Bullet, depending on surface. You may try a chassis primer if you go for moderate protection.

1971 M-code Mach 1
Yeah...after I get my interior blasted I'll more than likely have to primer it all right away.  Then I can take my time doing seam sealer and then whatever paint I decide on.  I know POR 15 is expensive and so are some of the others.  There are definitely other options out there from what I have seen and I'm sure others on this site have probably used them all.

I watched the video on the sealer, I would like to know where he get $6 sealer???LOL!

Just used ruberized Rocker Guard in black. My floors were rust free, no need for sealing or priming. I was after a bit of sound deadening more than waterproofing it.

I'm going to paint my floors in a couple of days with Interguard 269 Epoxy Primer Red but will seam seal first

I've already painted the cowls with this 2 pack primer and the color is close to the original red undercoat plus it is very tough

They use it on ships to keep the salt out so can't be too bad and not expensive either

I'm going to paint my floors in a couple of days with Interguard 269 Epoxy Primer Red but will seam seal first

I've already painted the cowls with this 2 pack primer and the color is close to the original red undercoat plus it is very tough

They use it on ships to keep the salt out so can't be too bad and not expensive either
I used PPG DP74LF non-sanding Red Epoxy Primer on the chassis and floors inside and out. The wheel wells I used U-Pol Raptor bed liner to help with the rough surface look before applying sound deadener.

image of a safe

one option is Axalta corlar 2.1 st epoxy mastic primer. spray it, roll it or brush it. comes in satin black. some jobbers can mix it in colors. only comes in gal. form, so you end up with 2 gals. use a big " doggy" syringe and squirt or pour the excess inside channels, rockers etc. 3m cavity wax also works well for that. another nice product is lizard skin sound and heat control. check out their website. just google axalta corlar 2.1 st and look at the tech sheet. also it needs to be mixed really well. wear a respirator

Back