Looking for a healthy street cam (4v-351c)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
When I got my '73 Mach-1, it had (and still has) too big of a cam. I am looking to simply looking for a healthy street cam for a daily driver. I like a little lope but not looking for a choppy idle. Unfortunately I don't have the cam specs. When I look at the paperwork, it just says it had an: "Isky cam- radical idle"

My car has 3.50 gears, a c6 auto Edelbrock Air Gap intake and a 750cfm (vac 2nd). Again, I just want a healthy sounding car that makes enough power to get out of its own way that I can just "get In and go". Due to funds available, off the shelf would be ideal. I would also prefer a 112' LSA.. 

thanks..

Mike

I love my comp 280 magnum, my car screams when you hit the loud pedal. It has a noticeable idle but has no problem running in gear at a stop light.

Wow I was tying to look at the Isky sit to see if I could determine what cam you have but their search function is terrible. And wow, they are pricey.

Wow I was tying to look at the Isky sit to see if I could determine what cam you have but their search function is terrible. And wow, they are pricey.
Yeah, their site isn't very good. And yes, very pricy.

I love my comp 280 magnum, my car screams when you hit the loud pedal. It has a noticeable idle but has no problem running in gear at a stop light.
Thanks. I'll take a look at that cam..

Do you have flat tappets or roller lifters, hydraulic or not?

My cam is a little healthier than the off-the-shelf Magnum 280.  It's a Comp Cams Magnum Retrofit kit (K32-421-8) - hydraulic roller cam.  Specs are 274/274, .566", 214/214 @ .050".  Not sure what your budget is, but this kit covers everything except for roller rockers.  The intake valley would require 2 holes drilled and tapped to install the lifter keeper 'spider' as well.  CompCams says expect around 400-ish horsepower when matched up with some other performance goodies targeting that range of performance (intake, carb, ignition, headers, etc.).

If you're looking at a flat tappet replacement cam, you'll still want to go with new lifters and pushrods, since the current lifters and rods are broken in to the current cam you're wanting to replace.

I'm sure the Magnum 280 will put a smile on your face, though. ;)

Thanks everyone.. I found this one from Crane (H-278-2) that caught my eye. Any opinions?

222/232 @ .050"/ .539/.534 - 114'

Thanks..

Mike

That cam will work but if your 73 351C is stock (low compression) I would not go that big. The old 204/214 or 214/224 Motorsports grinds work well even with the stock valve train parts.  I ran the 214/224 cam in a mostly stock 351C and it ran good even with the 2.73 peg leg.

Something like this perhaps. http://schneidercams.com/27090H351Chydraulic.aspx  Chuck

That cam will work but if your 73 351C is stock (low compression) I would not go that big. The old 204/214 or 214/224 Motorsports grinds work well even with the stock valve train parts.  I ran the 214/224 cam in a mostly stock 351C and it ran good even with the 2.73 peg leg.
I have 10:1, 4v heads, and 3.50 gears..

Back