MSD distributer: mechanical vs Vacuum advance?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
My '73 Mach-1 still has points. I am looking at a new distributer from MSD. One has a mechanical advance and the other is vacuum. Is one better than the other? Thanks..

Mike

They both have mechanical advance. One just doesn't have the vacuum advance. In my opinion and past experience get the one with vac advance it is easier to tune. The non-vac advance is usually used in racing applications.

Check the Crane  Distributor and box. They are supposed to be better than the MSD
I'll check it out. Thanks..

Is the points distributor giving you problems or does it just need new points and condenser? For street I'd use the vacuum advance. Are you looking at the MSD ready to run unit that does not require a separate amplifier box? Chuck

cazsper,

I have two Mallory Unlit mechanical advanced distributors, one in my 351C and 1995 302 roller. I tend to agree with the forum members that the vacuum advanced models would better for the street.

I do not have any problems with my mechanical advanced distributors. On my 1995 302 Roller, I have the Intelltronix spark-box, plus FiTech EFI 400 and it works really well.

mustang7173

Latest posts

Back