Front bumper replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmb3005

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang, 65D body style, dark green metallic, black vinyl roof, 351C, FMX transmission
I'm trying to replace the standard chrome front bumper on my 72 Mustang.  I'm having some issues with removing the giant phillips heads bolts that attach the bumper to the bracket behind it. I've been trying to find a replacement for the bracket behind the bumper, but no luck.  I can find replacement bumper brackets that attach to the frame on any website site selling replacement Mustang, but not this big bracket.  My Hanes repair manual calls it a "reinforcement and license plate bracket".  This thing runs the entire length of the bumper behind it.  I decided to remove the brackets attached to the frame and the big bracket with the bumper to deal with the bolts I can't out, but if I can get a replacement for the big bracket the bumper I would.  Doers anyone know if any of the website selling replacement bumpers and hardware have this large bracket?  Is it called by a different name that would bring it up in a search on a website?  I have uploaded photos of both ends of the bracket. The photos are a top view of the bracket. 

Thanks for your help.

Bob

I don't think that bracket is being reproduced, check with Don at Ohio Mustang, he is on the forum, He has used parts. Ryan

I don't think that bracket is being reproduced, check with Don at Ohio Mustang, he is on the forum,  He has used parts. Ryan
Thanks.  That would explain why I can't find it.

"

I'm having some issues with removing the giant phillips heads bolts that attach the bumper to the bracket behind it. "
Pick up a hand impact driver and some PB Blaster to get the screws out. The impact driver is also great to loosen/adjust door striker pin as well as many other seemingly seized screws.

Chuck

"I'm having some issues with removing the giant phillips heads bolts that attach the bumper to the bracket behind it. "

Pick up a hand impact driver and some PB Blaster to get the screws out. The impact driver is also great to loosen/adjust door striker pin as well as many other seemingly seized screws.

Chuck
What just happened with the fonts???????? I guess I fumble fingered something. :-/

Bob, Ford called that the front bumper reinforcement. Same one was used for the chrome or urethane front bumper in 71-72. At this time no one is reproducing them that I am aware of. I would check with Don (OMS) or Mike at Motor City Mustang and see if they have any decent used ones. There is also the chance that one of our forum members may have one they are willing to part with. You can also search for D1ZZ-17A792-A on line. There is one showing on Rear Counter (which is a parts broker) and lists the contact info where the part is located. The store that shows the part has left the "A" off the part number and erroneously listed it also fitting a 73. http://www.rearcounter.com/D1ZZ-17A792-parts1657300.html

"I'm having some issues with removing the giant phillips heads bolts that attach the bumper to the bracket behind it. "

Chuck
What just happened with the fonts???????? I guess I fumble fingered something. :-/
Hey Chuck,

This seems to be happening now and then.  What I've been doing when I see it, is to go into the post with Edit - Quick Edit, and just cut out everything that isn't actual text (all of the forum's text formatting tags between "[" "]" brackets).  Then the formatting reverts back to 'default' and looks normal.

Back