Speedometer gear

Hi all, I recently changed my axle gears. Been try to figure out what speedometer gear to change to & have come up with a 21 tooth purple gear.

I have a c6 trans with new 3.50 gears out back & P235/60R 15 tires. Pretty sure about the 21 tooth gear, but not sure where to find the correct one. I found this on ebay, is it the correct one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/21-tooth-OEM-Ford-Automatic-Transmission-Speedometer-gear-/162415070631?hash=item25d0b14da7:g:LkMAAOxyThVTapid&vxp=mtr

John - 72 Q Code

jpaz, your link doesn't show a gear. But if you have determined that a 21 tooth purple gear is the correct one, they are still available from your Ford dealer. The part you are looking for is DOOZ-17271-B and I believe sells in the $6-$7 range. I don't remember if the part houses sell those gears, but would certainly be worth a phone call if you don't want to go to your dealer.

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

It depends on the number of teeth on the drive gear. My memory fails me but, I think it is 7, please confirm. Once you know that, refer to the following link to calculate the number and twist (R or L) of the driven gear. Chuck

http://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/flipbook/Mustang-65-73-2017/?utm_source=flipbooks&utm_medium=internal_link&utm_campaign=Mustang_1965_1973#p=198

It depends on the number of teeth on the drive gear. My memory fails me but, I think it is 7, please confirm. Once you know that, refer to the following link to calculate the number and twist (R or L) of the driven gear. Chuck

http://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/flipbook/Mustang-65-73-2017/?utm_source=flipbooks&utm_medium=internal_link&utm_campaign=Mustang_1965_1973#p=198

with 3.50 or under numerically, should be 7 on the toploader.

235/60r15 =26.10'' = 772 revs per mile, I come up with 18.91

Just did this last night, same toploader 3.70 &255/60r 15=27.10''= 772 revs/mi.= 19.9948 teeth

WHAT a difference!

Thank's Chuck, I just actually checked NPD out too. 4 bucks for the gear & 9 for shipping. I live about 30 miles from them. Can't believe they want that much for the shipping.

Thanks again, now I at least know that's the correct part.

John - 72 Q Code

From everything I researched, a c6 has 8 on the drive gear. My cable goes in on the drivers side, so the driven should be a RH twist, type 3.

Please let me know if I'm wrong. I'm just figuring this all out, thanks!

John - 72 Q Code

I show 7-tooth drive gears for cars that were originally equipped with automatics and 2.75 to 3.50 rear ends, and the drive gear is right hand rotation.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Ok thanks Don, I wasn't sure about that either. It got very confusing looking up this little part, and I'm still learning about these cars. You guys are great & I really appreciate everyone's help! :)

John - 72 Q Code

• 3 months later...