shock tower cap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yancy55

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351 - original owner
!cid_67A2B540B28111DEBF47DBCB72BCCC4E@snj-us-pcwp-705_kodak.jpgI own a Boss 351 and want to either replace or paint my shock tower caps. It seems all I can find for new ones are either black or chrome but the Boss had a silvery colored cap....anyone help???

Thanks much.....now where can I get a pair or the paint?????

Seymour Stainless Steel paint give a pretty decent appearance for 'natural' or 'oil & phosphate' finish and holds up extremely well for years.

I used cast blast paint with a couple light coats of matte clear on top. They turned out pretty nice.

But like Chuck said, they originally were phosphate coated, not painted.

Here are a couple pics. I did the shock tower caps, hood latch & coil bracket. Hood hinges & hood twist lock brackets should also be the same.

010.JPG008.JPG

I called that Palmetto place about a month or 2 ago & the guy who runs the business is going through a divorce. So the only payment he would take was if you sent him a check first. Can't pay with paypal or credit card.

Sounded kinda fishy to me, so I went with Motorcity Mustangs (Mike) suggestion of the cast blast paint.

Now my car isn't a Boss 351, just a Q code, so it's not as valuable, but I am trying to keep it mostly stock looking.

I used cast blast paint with a couple light coats of matte clear on top. They turned out pretty nice.

But like Chuck said, they originally were phosphate coated, not painted.

Here are a couple pics. I did the shock tower caps, hood latch & coil bracket. Hood hinges & hood twist lock brackets should also be the same.
They look great!!!

You can buy the chemical anywhere. My local Grainger stocks it.
I did not read all of the replies but I can say just do the phosphate coatings yourself. Not difficult and whey are correct. I have done several including the shock caps, hood hinges, hood latch, parking brake mech., etc. gas pedal and some of the bolts. There is a reason they use it. Paints cause the devices to stick like hood locks and parking break, phosphate does not. They will no rust especially if it is just our show car or seldom used and sees no salt.

No paint or other process looks the same......

Thanks much gentlemen.....I greatly appreciate you taking the time to assist me....Jim

Back