1972 Mustang Convertible question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dcerny

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang convertible 351 cobra jet
I have a 72 Q code Mustang Convertible 351 in average condition. It runs well but has some surface rust under the doors and the deck lid (only visible when open).  59k original miles I was told when in bought it 5 years ago. Power top works well and in good condition. There is a rattle in the front suspension that i need to get looked at. Here's the question:  looking to sell as is. NADA says low retail is 10k and average retail is 26k. Was thinking of listing for 19k. Does that seem reasonable?

Last edited by a moderator:
The amount of observable (and not so apparent) rust is the big ticket item. Mechanical items such as bushings / brakes / shocks, etc are relatively easy to purchase & replace. Anything along those lines would basically impact the selling price for what it might cost to fix.

Rust on the other hand is the iceberg in the sea. Maybe you observe (or admit to) a little bit here and there, but major issues could lurk under the surface. That you mention rust under the deck lid would be a concern to my thinking. If the floors and structural aspects of the body are rust free, you may be okay at $19K. If not, it will be considerably lower.

The amount of observable (and not so apparent) rust is the big ticket item.   Mechanical items such as bushings / brakes / shocks, etc are relatively easy to purchase & replace.  Anything along those lines would basically impact the selling price for what it might cost to fix.

Rust on the other hand is the iceberg in the sea.   Maybe you observe (or admit to) a little bit here and there, but major issues could lurk under the surface.  That you mention rust under the deck lid would be a concern to my thinking.  If the floors and structural aspects of the body are rust free, you may be okay at $19K.  If not, it will be considerably lower.
Understood and agree. Next question, is it worth replacing the doors and deck lid?  I'm not sure I would get the money back out.

Can you post up pics of the rust areas? Replacing doors and hood is a major project and costly as you will likely never get them painted to match without repainting the entire car. If it is just surface rust and as you said only visible when opening the doors and or hood you might be able to have it repaired (depending on the extent of the damage, remember rust on a car is like cancer, it spreads like wildfire) if it is in typically nonvisible areas and can be repaired those repaired parts can be painted to match close enough.

I have a 72 Q code Mustang Convertible 351 in average condition. It runs well but has some surface rust under the doors and the deck lid (only visible when open).  59k original miles I was told when in bought it 5 years ago. Power top works well and in good condition. There is a rattle in the front suspension that i need to get looked at. Here's the question:  looking to sell as is. NADA says low retail is 10k and average retail is 26k. Was thinking of listing for 19k. Does that seem reasonable?

Is the car a 4 speed or auto? If it is only surface rust on the door and trunk changing them will lower the value. Is the paint original or a repaint? If original again if you you paint to most it will lower the value. I have an auto 72 Q I paid $5,500 for on cl two years ago. Failed restore was back to rolling chassis in primer and had been dipped stripped. Has all New Ford components in the drive and came with rebuilt never ran engine and trans. with lots of extra parts. So value is what the market will bare.

Need more pics of the car, interior, engine and undercarriage.

The car has been repainted once already. Knowing that, would it make sense to replace doors and deck and repaint?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back