351C 4V Carburetor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,

Starting the initial disassembly to eventually pull the engine/tranny.  This is the carburetor I found and I'm guessing it's not the original...  It's a Holley

Mike,

That is not the OEM carb for your car. The one that you need is a Motorcraft 4300 part D2ZF-DA. The DA suffix on this one makes it correct for a Q code automatic California car, but I have been looking for one for a couple years and have never seen one. I had to settle for a D2ZF-BB carb which is the correct one for your car for the other 49 states. They are still very hard to find, but do come up once and a while. I will keep my eye on one for you and let you know if I run across one.

Mike,

That is not the OEM carb for your car. The one that you need is a Motorcraft 4300 part D2ZF-DA. The DA suffix on this one makes it correct for a Q code automatic California car, but I have been looking for one for a couple years and have never seen one. I had to settle for a D2ZF-BB carb which is the correct one for your car for the other 49 states. They are still very hard to find, but do come up once and a while. I will keep my eye on one for you and let you know if I run across one.
How about this one??  Probably needs a full rebuild I'm sure. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcraft-4300-4-Barrel-Carburetor-Carb-D2ZF-BB-1972-Ford-Mustang-Torino-351-CJ-/172586829877?hash=item282efa0835:g:OL0AAOSw2gxY0SY8&vxp=mtr

I would say no. That number is for a 4300D, which is the spreadbore carburetor and requires a matching manifold. Unless you want original for some reason, I would steer away from the 4300 series carburetor. They aren't that easy to tune and maintain. I thought you were looking at the Summit carburetor?

http://www.mustangtek.com/4300/4300.html

I would say no. That number is for a 4300D, which is the spreadbore carburetor and requires a matching manifold. Unless you want original for some reason, I would steer away from the 4300 series carburetor. They aren't that easy to tune and maintain. I thought you were looking at the Summit carburetor?

http://www.mustangtek.com/4300/4300.html
I guess I'd say I want to keep an "original" look but at the same time improve performance and drivability by upgrading components you cannot see.  To be honest I've always been on the fence regarding original vs upgrading to newer components but so far everything has been pretty stock on this car (until this carburetor).  As I continue with the disassembly that will help me determine which direction to go.

Just to clarify the engine is a 72 Q code correct? If yes, there would need to be an adaptor plate between the intake and the carb. Or, a PO swapped a 70-71 intake onto the car or perhaps a complete 70-71 engine. Chuck

Just to clarify the engine is a 72 Q code correct? If yes, there would need to be an adaptor plate between the intake and the carb. Or, a PO swapped a 70-71 intake onto the car or perhaps a complete 70-71 engine. Chuck
Yes, it's a 72 Q code with what looks to be a replacement after market carb.  has the correct intake part number...

There is nothing wrong with 4300s and 4300D.

I run a pair of 4300s on a 351C tunnel ram and the "D" on my other 351C

Pulls to 6,500 no problem

Henry,

How about sharing the secrets to making 4300Ds start, idle, and transition to WOT properly. Chuck

I have the original 4300D that comes with a Q code but getting a replacement is a tough thing , good Luck with that my friend.
I can find the D2ZF-BB on Ebay but not the D2ZF-DA that's specific to a CA car.  I am hesitant to even buy the original Motorcraft 4300 carb though based on what I'm hearing on this site.

Do you drive your car a lot?  Do you have issues with the original carb?

I had one on my Q code too. It was a piece of crap in my opinion. One day the secondaries stuck wide open & flooded the top of my engine. Lucky it didn't start on fire. Right after that I put a Holley on & it runs better than ever with no more problems.

Just replace the intake with an aluminium dual plane like an Edelbrock performer or bit more dollars a Blue Tunder or if you want to keep the stock look with the best dual plane on the market, the Australian made Scott Cook dual plane. A 750 vac secondary either Holley or my preference the Quick Fuel Slayer series. 4V heads love CFM so doing these quick and easy mods your engine will thank you.

Henry,

How about sharing the secrets to making 4300Ds start, idle, and transition to WOT properly. Chuck
Lol, that's why I'm glad mine came in a box with the car, even the 600  Edelbrock was an improvement that was on it until it failed. 750 vac Holley on it for many trouble free years. BTW Chuck from what I've read and heard these carbs weren't good at doing those things when new, so with 40+ years since maybe somebody solved the problem.

Back