My car finally has Pwr Disc Brakes!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
After 15 + years I finally got rid of the 4 wheel manual drum brakes.

I do a lot of long rides in the car, and the fact that all new cars stop quick on the highways made me panic every time we went out for long rides, so I broke down this year and bought the Power disc conversion kit from www.GPSBrakes.com , it uses the stock drum spindles,  this kit was very easy to install and setup,  I did buy the rear disc kit also but had to return it because of interference with the rims ( I didn't want to upgrade wheels, not this year)

The Guys at GPS answered all of my questions ahead of time, and were great to work with, and their pre purchase support is what sold me on their kit.

it took about 2 hours to swap over both wheels, and about 5 hours to remove the Master cylinder, the Pedal assy, the manual brake plate for the firewall, and reinstall everything and bleed the system,  thank god my son didn't mind getting under the dash for me to help removing the reinstalling the pedal!!

I bought a Power brake Pedal and power brake firewall plate off Ebay ($10 + S&H) otherwise the kit comes with the parts to relocate the pin on the pedal.

Once I finally got the adjustable valve adjusted for the rear brakes, the car stops Straight, and Fast!! 

I'm very pleased with this package,  Upgrade wroth wild!!!

http://gpsbrakes.com/ag-645546.645576.645577-1972-ford-mustang.html

Now the Last part which is for esthetics only is the New brake pedal pad which says "Disc Brakes"  :D

20170403_174413.jpg

20170403_174458.jpg

20170403_182357.jpg

20170403_202553.jpg

20170403_205703.jpg

20170405_183522.jpg

20170408_151722.jpg

20170414_162030.jpg

20170407_192608.jpg

It looks like a very good kit and reasonably priced. A nice upgrade, well done. Chuck

Nice! I'm looking to get the same kit later on this year myself! Gonna start with the booster first, cause I'm in the same boat as far as changing rims goes (14"x6"). Definitely looking forward to some stopping power!

That's awesome. That's the kind of upgrade I both desire and dread at the same time. You know crawling under the dash is going to be a pain and when you are all done the car will still just do what it is supposed to do but you know it will do it so much better...

I am happy you took the plunge, who knows you may have just saved yourself from an accident!

I installed a similar kit from GPS yesterday and I was wondering if you have experienced any problem with your flexible brake line connection I had to remove the last screw holding my stock hard line to the frame on each side to get the end of the provided flex line to connect. The connection that came with the kit was about a quarter of an inch too short. Also the line seems little long. I have not bled the system yet.

I bought the car November 2002 and the brakes were installed by my wife's cousin (previous owner) back in 1998 or 1999 can't remember.

I have put about 20k+ miles on it, and the pads still looked great, the only issue I found was the passengers side wheel cylinder was leaking a bit, I checked the rear and they are also very good condition, I just cleaned them up.

Back