A-pillar repair!!! look at this!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when i have my '66 fairlane the center console was cracked about 4". you can NOT buy a repop and a good used one is like a grand. Sooooo googled a repair and what i came up with..

super glue, baking powder, fiberglass mesh dry wall tape. clean and lightly sand part and lightly sand again. using the sticky drywall tape cut a section on rear area. sprinkle baking soda over the tape and drip super glue on it all till soaked. let it dry and sand if needed. turned out to be very strong and worked well for me. u need to use a tape or something on the good side to maintain position, clamps or what ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is called 'Goop' basically you mix donor plastic from the same type if possible and acetone or testors 3502 glue which is a little better then pure acetone.

the more plastic you mix with the solvent the thicker so you can actually make spray plastic with it that can be shot from a airbrush.

in short you are manually 3d printing plastic making additions or repairs.

there is also friction welding plastic panels but it requires modeling skills for final clean up. basically a rod of the same plastic is installed in a high speed drill and turned you then line up the 2 broken parts and rub the rod of plastic into the weld area the friction melts everything together similar to a MIG weld and then you have to carve out the surface features you need.

for some types of plastic Heat is the only way to repair them as they will not melt with solvents.

you can also melt plastic with a soldering iron and sculpt just like a 3d printer to make repairs.

Back