'73 Mustang Wiring Harness

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
I have an odd question for the experienced members on the site about our electronics.

Back story: I currently have a completely stripped 1973 chassis. My Stang is a Mach 1, but basically had zero electrical options. I have spent years collecting almost all the electric bolt on accessories, power seats, all 4 power window set, rear defrost, etc. I have the original harness, and know that midlife can restore the harness and add things like the tach dash, and then would have a working original harness to put back in the car. Obviously, I would need to add a few wires for options here and there, but everything generally would be covered.

Here is the question: I am going to install and integrate a Dakota Digital Cluster along with all the bells and whistles in factory options. I have extensive custom wiring experience and have no issues with installing my own harness. It will be professional and superior to its stock counterpart. The car is striped so now would be the time. What would be the reason to keep the factory harness? Pros and Cons? I would love input.

-Brandon

Hello BrandonDindorf,

The good thing about the 1973 Mustang accessories, is that that options are add-ins with their own wiring harnesses. I have installed the complete power windows from a 1972 Cougar to a 1971 Mach 1. Dropped right in. The rear window defogger and power release seats will do the same. The one thing to do, is the hole through the fire wall near the brake booster and main harness plug.

It would be better to remove the dash unit, to install Rear Defogger switch, indicator light, and cut the required holes.

Since you are adding the Dakota Digital Cluster along with all the bells and whistles in factory options, then I would use the current harness. The Dakota Digital with have its own sensors to add in to the current harness.

Midlife can provide more insight.

Please provide us pictures during your process.

Thanks

Mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious will you be installing the door ajar option as well? I know early 70s cougars and other luxury Fords had them. The wire for them plugs in to the door speaker harness and extends to the door ajar switch. I have an original setup and been thinking of adding them to my car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done a few modifications with the Dakota Digital Dash. You'll need to get rid of the Ford dash cluster connector, as you won't be using a circuit card anyway. Lots more wires for grounds, power to gauges, etc., but if you can work with an aftermarket wiring system, you should be able to wire up the dash cluster. It's not Rocket Science...

I would recommend, however, a quick disconnect between the main harness and the dash cluster, so you can easily remove the dash cluster for whatever reasons without having to de-wire it.

I appreciate the responses!

Mustang7173, I purchased a bunch of random parts and sets for options. That means I will actually have to search to actually install them properly. I have the original ford manuals, but will need to find real world examples of installations and such. Its like I bought a bunch of different Lego sets, with just the picture on the box to work with. The car is completely gutted right now, so now is the time to make those changes rather than later. Please give me any other advice like that.

Rackerm, I STAND CORRECTED. I have never actually heard of this option. I could make a digital sense and install this, or attempt to find a set like you have. I am torn in the fact that, I do hate the dinging, but to have an uncompleted set... AAAAHHHH! As I have never stumbled across these, are the exceptionally rare? Would you have some tips to finding a complete set?

Midlife, so it would be my understanding that both you and 7173mustang, recommend I restore the harness I have, reinstall it, and then modify that one with just additional equipment for the Dakota digital? I have to look at a couple of things, but want to make sure I completely understand. Do you have any suggestions for a multiple-line single plug disconnect like that?

You got it correct. I use a Molex 16 pin quick disconnect. So far, I've not had to use more than 16 pins, but if I do, there are 6 and 8 pin connectors to make it a multiple connector disconnect.

If you want to use my services, I can hard-wire your Dakota Digital Dash, but I recommend you send the dash cluster in and let me wire it up for you, so it will be plug-n-play. You'll need to insure it when you ship it; I would do the same upon return.

I appreciate the responses!

Mustang7173, I purchased a bunch of random parts and sets for options. That means I will actually have to search to actually install them properly. I have the original ford manuals, but will need to find real world examples of installations and such. Its like I bought a bunch of different Lego sets, with just the picture on the box to work with. The car is completely gutted right now, so now is the time to make those changes rather than later. Please give me any other advice like that.

Rackerm, I STAND CORRECTED. I have never actually heard of this option. I could make a digital sense and install this, or attempt to find a set like you have. I am torn in the fact that, I do hate the dinging, but to have an uncompleted set... AAAAHHHH! As I have never stumbled across these, are the exceptionally rare? Would you have some tips to finding a complete set?

Midlife, so it would be my understanding that both you and 7173mustang, recommend I restore the harness I have, reinstall it, and then modify that one with just additional equipment for the Dakota digital? I have to look at a couple of things, but want to make sure I completely understand. Do you have any suggestions for a multiple-line single plug disconnect like that?
You can get the wiring harness and switches at... https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/doajsw.html?attribs=84 They sell the wires for about $11 each and the switches for about $27 each. If you can't the wires, I have a second pair I can give up... cheap. Unfortunately I only have two switches. Let me know if you decide to add them, I don't know anyone who has done so yet.

Back