Car is beyond repair. What do I do now?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW302

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang
302 2V V-8
I'm pretty new around here so I'm not really sure if this kind of post belongs here or elsewhere.

I found out today my 73 Mustang is beyond (reasonable) repair. The entire frame and underbelly is rusted through. However, it does have a rebuilt C4 transmission (rebuilt 4 years ago; 2000 miles since then), and a working 302. The engine runs but rough and probably need rebuilding. The interior and upper body are intact.

I know I could make more money if I part it, but I don't have the time or tools to take out the engine and tranny, let alone dismantle the car. I could sell it whole, but who wants to buy a car with no frame and floors that would need so much money and time to repair. If I do sell it whole, how much should I sell it for? I'm really not sure what to do. If you all need more info/pics to help accurately price it, let me know.

I would say post up some pics. There is obviously more money in parting it out. From what you described it would be sold as a parts car more than likely to someone who is going to take off what they need and part out the rest. Last fall I purchased a 73 vert 302 car advertised as a parts car for $400. To my surprise when I arrived to look at it the frame, torq boxes floors etc were in good shape and very solid. The motor is locked up but heck for the money I couldn't pass it up. Will prob restore it. There is a lot of money in the interior parts.

Part it out. Place ad here and Craigslist, just state that buyer has to pull engine(only worth $150-200 at best). All the other parts you should be able to handle yourself

Al

I am sorry to hear that. I read in the other threads that the car holds a special value for you. You can get some money from parting out the easy stuff. You might be able to donate the car to a charity for some kind of tax deduction but keep in mind that only ends up saving you whatever your top percentage in taxes is. I

OR take some classes at a local tech school and learn to fix it. Sometimes the tech schools will fix things at cost

Don't give up yet!! the Frame? well it's not a frame, it has a front clip. It's a unibody and can be fixed! You can get a used front clip then start on the rest. the rails underneath can be fabricated then remove all rust and simply welded over existing rails..as far as body parts well they are available at body supply stores. Nothing is impossible! I spent years finding parts but if there is a will there is a way!

part it, flip money into another one in better shape. or gut the good parts off it for use on the next one.

part it, flip money into another one in better shape. or gut the good parts off it for use on the next one.

Good advice Dan!

OP 72 HCode can tell you a lot about the joy of saving a car with "issues"!!!!!!!  

That being said, this car has meaning to you.  I've been caught up by that myself before.  Take a little time to figure out if you can save it before you do anything.

I just spent $24,000 restoring my wives car which had very very little rust. That said I farmed out the paint and rust reoair. I could of done it myself but I have more money than time. It all depends on your situation.

I just spent $24,000 restoring my wives car which had very very little rust.  That said I farmed out the paint and rust reoair.  I could of done it myself but I have more money than time.  It all depends on your situation.

Back