Cleaning up lights, wiper plastichrome bezels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mach 1 351 ram air
[url=https://ibb.co/R9rNbJs][img]https://i.ibb.co/376vdPj/DSC06636.jpg[/img][/url]
Does anybody know a trick way to clean the plastichrome on these bezels without ruining them?

A little overspray is present...

for instance, brake fluid will take paint off of many of the plastic interior pieces...

I'm wondering if there's a trick to making these nice again?

The lighter bezel is metal.... maybe a fine grade steel wool?

Appreciate any thoughts...

DSC04840.JPG

Does anybody know a trick way to clean the plastichrome on these bezels without ruining them?

A little overspray is present...

for instance, brake fluid will take paint off of many of the plastic interior pieces...

I'm wondering if there's a trick to making these nice again?

The lighter bezel is metal.... maybe a fine grade steel wool?

Appreciate any thoughts...
I have had good luck with using #0000 steel wool with windex. The trick is not to rub too hard and to keep the steel wool wet. It will remove the oxidation without hurting the plastic chrome if you go easy. Good luck/

I had good results using aluminium foil - the stuff used in the kitchen. Just tear a strip off, place it in water for a few seconds then very gently rub the aluminium foil against the chrome. Repeat as necessary. No need to rub hard. Works well with minor pitting. Then wax when finished. Mine look great three years later. Found that trick somewhere online at the time some sort of chemical reaction takes place I remember reading.

I use chrome polish with good results - it will take off light overspray

I use chrome polish with good results - it will take off light overspray
I've also used Mother's Mag & Wheel Polish with good results.  Gotta be careful not to rub all the chrome plating off with the Mother's, though.  MAAS Chrome Polish (found at most hardware stores) is pretty mild and shouldn't tear up the plating.

Steel wool will knock the overspray off, but it'll dull/scuff the chrome plating, then you'll need to use chrome polish after anyway.

I've heard good things about the aluminum trick with rusty bumpers and rims.

Back