• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

71 J code 429 CJ complete ram air assembly and rev limiter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wozzel

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code 351 cobra jet Mach 1
Hi, wondering what my chances of finding the complete ram air setup and also a rev limiter off a 71 J code 429 CJ? Aaron.

Chances are there...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/171185555271?_mwBanner=1

I saw scoops and vaccum parts as well.

You also got (cheaper) alternatives if you are more about the functionality and not about perse use original parts.

Back in late 90's, because finding one was much harder than now and because the seal between air filter/hood is

so huge you cant see your detailed engine. I made one from scratch. The underneath of the hood

has most of the shape you need. Personally, I wanted also to restrict the radius, which compress the air more.

and incorporate highflow air filters instead of the factory paper based ones.

Its lots of work to make a clean mould. Involves lots of sanding if you want a nice finish,

but now I could produce one everyday if I wanted to... Pitty you're on wrong side of earth, you could borrow it.

Just made some picts to show you how it looks

What do you mean by "rev limiter", I don't recall having such thing on mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ok im mean that air cleaner setup, and the silver rev limiter on the shock tower to the keft of the air cleaner.

Im after the original setup, not a custom fabricated one.

This you mean?

I have the extension as well somewhere in a box.

As I'm not planning restore the car to original condition, I will use that one to modify the ram air mould

as I need add more space than on the 351 to make it fit. After its done, I could sell it.

Tho I have no idea when i'll come to that point.

I have a friend with lots of mustangs parts, i'll ask him if he has one to spare.

Never seen that rev limiter on any mustangs.

Thats the one i need Fabrice, that and the extension. Yeah apparantly the base is different to the 351. Need the setup to return a car to original.

The rev limited was only used on the 4 speed versions of those models. For instance, the '71 429 with a C6 automatic would not have the rev limiter from the factory. My '71 J-code 429CJ 4 speed has holes on the shock tower where the rev limiter was originally installed. Many of them apparently were removed and tossed back in the day, or sold later on when they became rare. There used to be a dummy one made with the correct stamp on it and that was around 300 bucks the last time I saw it on eBay. An original and functional rev limiter might run near a grand. The 429CJ rev limiter was set to cut out I believe at 5800 RPM's, and the 429SCJ rev limiter was 6150 RPM's (SCJ has solid lifters).

Back