'73 motor mounts on a 302 f/b

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 convertible with 351C and C6 trans
i could not find a definitive answer here so i'll ask.

first with putting way more into the rebuild then i wanted i'm looking to cut some cost. yes i know that car came with the clam shell type but with pricing of almost 200 bucks. i have gotten the std type mounts and don't fit. the issue is the drivers side appears fine. motor looks centered. it's the passenger side that's the problem. the std mount or old style fits but needs to be extended out by 1" to line up with frame mount hole. i'm going to modify this mount to fit but what i'm looking for is a part number for passenger side.. have a 2257 on drivers side not but same number will not fit pass side..

The pair I have do not have any numbers on them. All they have is a big "L" and a big "R".

delawarebill, to use the 71-72 motor mounts on your 73 you will need to use the 71-72 "Perches" or frame brackets. The right side DOOZ-6028-B (ID#  DOOA-6A094-B) and the left side DOOZ-6029-B (ID# DOOA-6A095-B) shouldn't be too difficult to find as the one year only 73 mounts. The brackets you need were also used on 70-71 Torino, Mercury Montego/Cyclone with 302/351's, and the 71-72 non convertible Mustang 302-351 and Cougar 351. The insulator or motor mount is the same for both sides (DOOZ-6038-G).

Since you were looking to keep costs down, I would try Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motor City Mustang as they both have parts cars, are more than familiar with our style Mustangs and would know exactly what you need.

excellent info. thank you.. for the time being and using the older engine mounts, i made up a plate to cover the horiz addition needed to fit to frame mount. only needed one inch and using largest bolts to hold weight that will fit with 2 bolts in same area.. so far so good.. don't like it but i've had set back after set back on the car and i need it done for mid next month for big car event.. now i have a better avenue to guide me by with provided info... thanks.. and u are now a 76

Last edited by a moderator:
i would like to expand on this tread a bit. i'm referencing to the frame mount side. it's apparent that '71&'72 vs '73 are different in size. i'll assume it's the height of the mount. for me i don't know which one i have. so if you'll can get measurements that would be perfect. i'm thinking measure from the 4 bolt base to the center hole of the single bolt hole or would it be total height??? i have googled this info and have not found it... it would also provide a hit to this web site and maybe more members...

I have a set of each in the garage as I am swapping over to the 71-72 mounts and purchased a set of 71-72 frame mounts to go with. I should be able to get some measurements at lunch.

ok hopefully the last one on this PITA.

i just received the 2 lower mounts for a '71-'72 mustang. the one thing i noticed right off is the new one's have a taller mounting hole by about 1/2" which is good for me.

i have looked at what i have and how they are mounted but i'll kinda keep that to me so to not influence anyone. there are no makings on either so i don't know which is

left (pass) or right (driver) side looking into engine. as u can see there is a protrusion on one side where the single longer bolt is for the upper mount goes, and flat on the other.

using that info which is which...

Last edited by a moderator:
In your bottom pic the one on the right goes on passenger side and the one on the left goes on drivers side. Here is a pic of mine installed. I made this switch as well. IE the bulge out the side goes toward back of the car and the little lip faces the toward middle of the car. hope this helps.

free image hosting websites

73 pony.. it absolutely does.. that's how the orig mounts are in.. perfect thanks.

as it turns out the engine mount side takes a 2257 mount.. amazing that's what i have on the car now...

so darn.. what am i gonna do when this problem is solved..

don't worry i'll try to figure out another dumb question... a test..

73 pony.. it absolutely does.. that's how the orig mounts are in.. perfect thanks.

as it turns out the engine mount side takes a 2257 mount.. amazing that's what i have on the car now...

so darn.. what am i gonna do when this problem is solved..

don't worry i'll try to figure out another dumb question... a test..
Bill,

The 2257 motor mounts on your car are for a 65-72 small block. The frame mounts on your car are the original 73 (shorter than 71-72) mounts. A mismatch pointed out in your earlier posts. Hence the reason for your motor alignment issues.

Glad its finally solved.

thanks rich,

i wanted to thank u all for the info here.. google all day long and to no result.. ask here and bam.. got it...

for the time being the mounts will be a fall project. it's kinda ok now but not what i wanted.

so onto the next thing... how to change wiper blades... Oh wait i did that 2 wks ago.. rats

Latest posts

Back