Power window Conversation including rear quarter and pwr door locks?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
This is a future project but i am making lists, gathering info and parts when they come available.

What is needed to do the conversion from manual to power windows?  SAME question for pwr door locks

Different door panels?  If not will the switch cover the crank hole?  I have to install new door panels because PO removed and threw them away.  I will need to use the crank for a while.

Different wirring harness or is current one provisioned for power?

SAME question for pwr door locks

Rear quarter windows are fixed.  Is there a kit or parts list to convert those to power to?

Has anyone adapted a multiple control switch on drivers panel for controlling all 4 windows seperately?

Any videos or how to sites???

Well, it might depend on how you want to go about doing it.  The door panels have the crank hole already positioned and cut-out - you're kind of stuck with that no matter what.  I'm no expert on factory power window set-ups, but I believe the power window switches will cover up the crank holes, as they appear to be installed in those positions.

OK  so, are you wanting to use stock-ish parts to do this?  If so, then you'll need to obtain all the stock-ish components (motors, glass, regulators, switches, etc.).

If you're wanting to do a manual/power hybrid conversion (that's what I call it), then you'll need to 'settle' for something that's not quite factory in appearance, and might even wind up costing a little bit less than factory components.   If you're OK with that, read on. 

You can get some universal add-on motors from SPAL, Electric Life, Autoloc, etc.  Those motors are cable-driven with hubs that fit over the manual crank shafts - you keep the manual crank mechanisms, regulators, glass, etc.  The motors themselves wind up in the bottom of the doors, out of the way and secure to not interfere with the manual regulators and glass.  Run the wiring to your switch locations and a power source, and now you have power windows.  I ran my switches to the center console (GM-style) since I had holes in the console anyway (I just re-purposed them for the switches), but there are plenty of instructions available by the motor companies (SPAL, et al) on how to wire up the switches to be used with a 'master' driver side switch set-up (involves a little more wiring and some relays).  The kits come with caps for the cranks, since they actually stick out through the door panels (I want to put a set of the cranks on mine anyway, just to freak people out when I hit the power buttons and watch them wind up by themselves... LOL!).  You'll need to fine a new location for the door switches, since the manual crank shafts still occupy the holes in the door panels... so, it won't appear absolutely factory, if that's what you're going for.

There are add-on power lock systems as well.  I have a set of Autoloc power locks, which work either stand-alone or plugged into a keyless entry/alarm system (which I also have... just not installed yet).  They also use the existing manual locks, with the motors secured inside the doors, out of the way, using rods fastened to the lock 'pins' (that stick up out of the door panels) to lock/unlock the doors.  They literally push the pins up, or pull them down as needed.  Mine also work together - if you pull one up (unlock - either by key or manually pulling it up), it will unlock the other side... same for locking.

The quarter windows are a little more involved - you definitely need a set of regulators from a coupe, 'vert, or a fastback with roll-up quarter windows.  There aren't any repop kits for this, to my knowledge... you'll need to score them from a donor car.  Easy to install, as all of the parts were made to fit into all body styles - you'll just need the fasteners and all the hardware.  Your fixed quarter window glass will bolt onto the glass holder that works with the regulator.  Here's a great write-up on how to do this: https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1971-1972-1973-mustang-fastback-wind-down-quarter-window-conversion-tutorial

As for manual or power quarter windows, I guess it depends on which ones you wind up with.  Again, score a set of the universal motors (SPAL, et al), and install them the same as the door units, run the wiring, and now you have power roll-up quarter windows.

The interior quarter trim panels don't have the holes for the quarter window cranks already pre-punched - you'll need to do that yourself.  I opted to not punch mine, and the manual cranks for the quarter windows are hidden.  I also have the ABS repop quarter trim panels, so there might be a bit of difference between those and the thinner, factory-style panels (mine are a lot more rigid, for instance).

BTW - I highly recommend the SPAL motors.  I started with Electric Life units, and they suck - the belts pass-by each other in a single flexible channel, which tends to tear the teeth apart and cause drag.  The SPALs use individual flexible shafts for the belts, so there's no drag or damage to be had.

Hope that helps!

Well, it might depend on how you want to go about doing it.  The door panels have the crank hole already positioned and cut-out - you're kind of stuck with that no matter what.  I'm no expert on factory power window set-ups, but I believe the power window switches will cover up the crank holes, as they appear to be installed in those positions.

OK  so, are you wanting to use stock-ish parts to do this?  If so, then you'll need to obtain all the stock-ish components (motors, glass, regulators, switches, etc.).

If you're wanting to do a manual/power hybrid conversion (that's what I call it), then you'll need to 'settle' for something that's not quite factory in appearance, and might even wind up costing a little bit less than factory components.   If you're OK with that, read on. 

You can get some universal add-on motors from SPAL, Electric Life, Autoloc, etc.  Those motors are cable-driven with hubs that fit over the manual crank shafts - you keep the manual crank mechanisms, regulators, glass, etc.  The motors themselves wind up in the bottom of the doors, out of the way and secure to not interfere with the manual regulators and glass.  Run the wiring to your switch locations and a power source, and now you have power windows.  I ran my switches to the center console (GM-style) since I had holes in the console anyway (I just re-purposed them for the switches), but there are plenty of instructions available by the motor companies (SPAL, et al) on how to wire up the switches to be used with a 'master' driver side switch set-up (involves a little more wiring and some relays).  The kits come with caps for the cranks, since they actually stick out through the door panels (I want to put a set of the cranks on mine anyway, just to freak people out when I hit the power buttons and watch them wind up by themselves... LOL!).  You'll need to fine a new location for the door switches, since the manual crank shafts still occupy the holes in the door panels... so, it won't appear absolutely factory, if that's what you're going for.

There are add-on power lock systems as well.  I have a set of Autoloc power locks, which work either stand-alone or plugged into a keyless entry/alarm system (which I also have... just not installed yet).  They also use the existing manual locks, with the motors secured inside the doors, out of the way, using rods fastened to the lock 'pins' (that stick up out of the door panels) to lock/unlock the doors.  They literally push the pins up, or pull them down as needed.  Mine also work together - if you pull one up (unlock - either by key or manually pulling it up), it will unlock the other side... same for locking.

The quarter windows are a little more involved - you definitely need a set of regulators from a coupe, 'vert, or a fastback with roll-up quarter windows.  There aren't any repop kits for this, to my knowledge... you'll need to score them from a donor car.  Easy to install, as all of the parts were made to fit into all body styles - you'll just need the fasteners and all the hardware.  Your fixed quarter window glass will bolt onto the glass holder that works with the regulator.  Here's a great write-up on how to do this: https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1971-1972-1973-mustang-fastback-wind-down-quarter-window-conversion-tutorial

As for manual or power quarter windows, I guess it depends on which ones you wind up with.  Again, score a set of the universal motors (SPAL, et al), and install them the same as the door units, run the wiring, and now you have power roll-up quarter windows.

The interior quarter trim panels don't have the holes for the quarter window cranks already pre-punched - you'll need to do that yourself.  I opted to not punch mine, and the manual cranks for the quarter windows are hidden.  I also have the ABS repop quarter trim panels, so there might be a bit of difference between those and the thinner, factory-style panels (mine are a lot more rigid, for instance).

BTW - I highly recommend the SPAL motors.  I started with Electric Life units, and they suck - the belts pass-by each other in a single flexible channel, which tends to tear the teeth apart and cause drag.  The SPALs use individual flexible shafts for the belts, so there's no drag or damage to be had.

Hope that helps!
You'll also want a set of these:  https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-finds-good-door-rubber-bellows?highlight=power+windows

Here's the thread I was looking for - gpierce installed a set of universal power window lifts in his 'vert - started with Electric Life motors, but wound up going with the SPALs for the same reason I did.  https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-power-windows-for-your-convertible?highlight=SPAL

This is a future project but i am making lists, gathering info and parts when they come available.

What is needed to do the conversion from manual to power windows?  SAME question for pwr door locks

Different door panels?  If not will the switch cover the crank hole?  I have to install new door panels because PO removed and threw them away.  I will need to use the crank for a while.

Rear quarter windows are fixed.  Is there a kit or parts list to convert those to power to?

Has anyone adapted a multiple control switch on drivers panel for controlling all 4 windows seperately?

Any videos or how to sites???
If you go with a stock setup.

Then you will need the rubber door jam boot mentioned previously, unless your car came with factory door speakers for an AM/8 track or AM/FM radio.  

There is a stock accessory wiring harness from the battery to the drivers kickboard area and a solenoid that mounts to the drivers shock tower above the brake distribution block.

A set of factory switches and wiring harnesses.

As mentioned in a previous post, the factory deluxe door panels have an mark on the back side that outlines the switch cutout. The crank hole is in the center of it so you can use manual door panels and cut them for power switches. I can send some pictures of these cut outs and their location if you need them.

The door glass typically has a half circle cut out at the bottom to clear the stock window motor when down, but I am not sure that the cutout is absolutely needed or not.

Door motors and correct power motor regulator. The power regulators are different then the manual crank regulator. These motors are fairly common and inexpensive.

For coupes and convertibles with up/down rear quarter windows: Rear Quarter motors also called pancake motors and the correct regulator. These motors are very hard to come by and they are not reproduced. The rear interior quarter panel switch hole with a screw hole notch will need to be cut as well, the panels do not have an outline for the switches. I can send some pictures of these cut outs and their location if you need them.

I am not aware of any stock power door locks. There were door ajar solenoids and wiring harness for it that plugs in to a small connector on the door speaker harness. Also a dash light. These were factory optional on cougars not mustangs, but would work.

Also, I have a set of power window switches and bezels front and rear, without the full wiring harness, if your are interested.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! I will start searching for parts to do the modified conversion which sound simpler and more reliable. I have the re-pop rear panels as well. They came with the car but were not installed and no holes were cut. I plan on doing the same as you Eric and not punch the holes out, just control them from the drivers door.

My door panels were missing when I purchased the car so I will be purchasing a set of the deluxe panels.

My car was ordered with what I think was an odd accessory package.

1 of 1

pea green exterior

white standard interior

No pwr windows or door locks

Has A\C

351 CJ

4 speed

Manual brakes, I 'think'... Still trying to figure out if someone did a half a$$ swap since it has disks but no booster, has manual proportioning valve and the plate is missing just below the MC on the firewall to the cabin.

No wing and no chin spoiler

Thanks!

Wade

I have the cheaper Marti report that does not show all options so I need to upgrade.

Any videos or how to sites???...Thought you had to have a 73 as 73's w/wider body, err, wider doors in their depth? As for replacing for their doors, then fenders, bumpers......donot know if that is possible but getting help from our members widening their bodies....?

Any videos or how to sites???...Thought you had to have a 73 as 73's w/wider body, err, wider doors in their depth? As for replacing for their doors, then fenders, bumpers......donot know if that is possible but getting help from our members widening their bodies....?
There are NO wider doors or bodies 71-2 and 73 use the same doors

Back