Dashes Direct seat foam and ford tooling dash pad

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Q-code convertible
Update: Dashes Direct solved all issues. I am very happy with the replacement parts.

More parts arrived that I have ordered 2 months ago. The usual delay when parts are backordered for the 71-73 mustang ! Happiness turned into disappointment quite quickly with the DashesDirect parts, considering I've paid more than $700 incl shipping and tax to receive these 3 items alone..... Maybe I am too precise or my expectations are too high so your opinion is appreciated!

I ordered these parts from Summit since they offered a good deal on international shipping combined with all the other parts! 

The first thing I noticed is that the seat foam I ordered supposed to be from Scott Drake , but the boxes have DashesDirect stickers.

I received the seat foam from 2 different batches. The thing I noticed is that the foam of one seat is more firm than the other! Another thing is that the foam of one seat is ripped on both sides of the headrest. I am not impressed with this! It supposed to be a quality product that is made in the USA.... 

I also ordered the Dashes Direct original Ford Tooling dash pad. Unfortunately also an issue with this part! Considering the price , I expected a superior item compared to the reproduction part they supply as well. As you can see in the photo, there are 2 lumps in the middle part of the top surface.....

gif upload site

Last edited by a moderator:
JD79,

Sorry to hear this. I would request per the, "bad customer experience" to pay for the return ship costs since you received defective parts. Let us know what the out come is!

mustang7173

I agree! that bullsh*t. I know I wouldn't be happy! They should pay for shipping both ways and make it right for you. That's just unacceptable. Really sucks that you will have to wait a long time to get your parts again, or bite the bullet and use them as is!! That's the nice thing about where I am located, only about an hour and fifteen minute drive to get to Summit Racing. Hope you get this figured out.

I purchased the same dash pad last Spring from NPD in Detroit on my way home from the Mecum Indy auction. Did not open the box until the Fall and found a similar issue to yours... Like you, I am in another country and was pissed when I found this defect. I was not about to drive a few hundred miles and cross the border to try and exchange this part, so I contacted Dashes Direct - directly... They were great to deal with, they sent me out a replacement right away, zero cost to me including shipping. Didn't even have to send the defective one back. Disappoint turned into customer satisfaction on this purchase. Give it a try, good luck!

I've sent DashesDirect an email with lots of photo's and my feeling about the parts that I have received. Let's see how they respond....

It is just a shame that the quality control of the reproduction parts is very disappointing sometimes. It costs a lot of time to solve these issues....

Complete Horse Sh*t.

Sorry. I hope they make it right for you. Keep us posted. Those seat foams are really bad. I would bet my 44 year old originals prob look better than that.

For what its worth, I purchased my dash from Dashes Direct about 8 years ago. The quality was great and still looks good today. Hopefully you will get a good quality one if they replace for you. I would ask them to inspect each one before they ship. Good luck.

Hi guys , my faith in DashesDirect has been restored! After I received the parts I emailed DashesDirect with the photo's I've showed you in my previous message. They told me that those parts shouldn't have left their building because it is not the quality they normally stand for... They want happy customers! So they offered me a new dash pad and new seat foam. It took a while to receive the parts because they had to produce the new seat foam and this was delayed a bit. This was not a problem for me. The new seat foam looks great and the new dash pad is perfect. They have paid for the international shipping and everything! I didn't have to return the other parts... I am really impressed with the customer service!

This happened to me quite often over the years. Like ordering an expensive high volume chromed fuel pomp visually defect that leaked or front spoiler like if they'd took measures on a Cadillac eldorado to make it. Camshaft with defect lobe, bad quality vs advertised ( often on high quality triple plated chrome parts said made in USA with made in China stickers in the inside) , missing parts while listed, parts damaged because poorly packaged sending etc...

It's so easy to become the guy that will get that thing laying there for ages that they can't sell when you live in FarFarAwayLand.

Back in the days, calling them would have costed me more than the part itself, so all went on the losses pile...

My experience with Summit is good and I've ordered many times there since the 80's. They've only gave me once wrong pistons

but couldn't for sure define if the error was theirs or mine. I sold these within a week, so prob was solved.

Their after sales sucks tho, or better said, its more adapted to locals vs international. Like "sure, no prob send it back and we send it back to you".

On itself sounds ok and I wouldn't know how else they could do to be frank, except for us FarFarAwayLand people,

this cost us more than the part itself, as the f...ing dutch taxes do not care of these deals, they apply to parts listed AND transport each and every time.

Not to mention the time involved before you actually get what you payed twice for.

As you have just received the package and its very obvious from picts that the parts are useless. It's easy to show them the many defects.

As a big as they are at Summit, if the dude you'll get on online chat/phone doesn't agree to send you new ones without you send the old ones back (he will apply the rules),

try contact someone "higher" there or contact manufacturer so they back your story. After all, you put bad name on manufacturer while chance is high

it was damaged by bad storage conditions.

[dutch]daz klote gevoel na zo lang wachten... Laat ons weten hoe het verder gaat[/dutch]

Back