how desireable

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach1
Have a chance to add a 69 convert. to my collection? Wondering how desirable a 69 R code is. According to the vin it is supposed to have a 428 4v and is a cobra jet.

I know that sounds like a dumb question but the car is going to need a lot of work and before I dump a couple of grand into it just for the car want to figure nif it is worth it.

Dont have pics of the car at this time.

Thanks

Jim

'69 R code is the 428 CJ-R (335HP).

A vert sold at Barrett Jackson R - Code with 4 speed back in 2011 for just over $90k.

I am guessing there are not to many. That is the most recent auction result I could find for one.

I saw where a couple of the 1969 Q code 428 verts were sold more recently in the $125k range. I would imagine the R codes are more rare than the Q. R code had the ram air and shaker hood.

Have a chance to add a 69 convert. to my collection? Wondering how desirable a 69 R code is. According to the vin it is supposed to have a 428 4v and is a cobra jet.

I know that sounds like a dumb question but the car is going to need a lot of work and before I dump a couple of grand into it just for the car want to figure nif it is worth it.

Dont have pics of the car at this time.

Thanks

Jim
A 69 convertible with a R code engine is very rare! ONLY 95 have been build with the 4 speed and 222 with a C6 according to the statistics. Seems like an interesting car!

I saw where a couple of the 1969 Q code 428 verts were sold more recently in the $125k range. I would imagine the R codes are more rare than the Q. R code had the ram air and shaker hood.
The Q is more rare .... only 20 convertibles with 4 speed and 30 with a c6 have been build in 1969.

The Q is more rare .... only 20 convertibles with 4 speed and 30 with a c6 have been build in 1969.
I guess is someone was ordering a 428 in 1969 they really wanted that ram air and shaker hood. :)

It depends what is included. The prices for parts are crazy. I have a 70 SCJ so I know. I have owned it for 20 plus years and have watched the prices skyrcket. Try buyin the pieces one at a time and watch the cost

Thank you to everyone for all the info. I saw the car when I went and looked at one for a member in California. The 69's are my second favorite stang.

Now to mull it over and see if I want to drop the trigger.

Jim

I think a 69 R code convertible is money in the bank. If it's black its even better!

How complete is it? Original drivetrain?

I have a 70 Q code Mach 1 and love it too. I did put a shaker on it as you can't have a 428 CJ without a shaker!

If you have the means and it's an original drivetrain car I'd strong recommend purchasing it.

Back