Spare tire options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
My 71 Mustang has the inflatable spare tire, which I am planing on keeping, but not planing on using it as a spare. I will keep in the parts museum in my garage. I would like to have a spare tire that fits my brakes, so must be 15". But having a hatchback with fold down seats leaves me with little space in the trunk. Ideally I would like to use the original spare tire lock down, but based on my measurements, it will be hard to fit a tire bigger than 21". The smallest 15" tire I found is the Achilles ATR-K Economist (https://simpletire.com/achilles-165-45r15-man164515-tires) at 21". The maximum rated load is 853lbs, which may be in the low end for the Mustang. Or should I opt for a bigger tire and locate it somewhere in the middle of the trunk. With the latter option, will there be a "neat" way to lock the tire in place?

In any case, you can see my dilemma. Any other ideas or options?

Put the tire on top of the fold-down seat when it is folded down, ala Shelby in 1965.

Do you really expect to have more than 1 passenger? If so, then remove the tire, fold the seat back up, and pray you don't have a flat.

It's not just the load rating. I've always been advised that the spare's circumference should match the rear tires if a car has limited slip.

I have a donut spare that the PO added to the car. He said it came from a mid 80's Lincoln that a guy he met from Ford told him would work. I can see if I can get a part number next time I am at the garage if you want. I keep it in the trunk along with the original spare.

It's not just the load rating. I've always been advised that the spare's circumference should match the rear tires if a car has limited slip.
Yes, but what you would do is place the smaller tire in the front. So if your rear goes flat you have to move the front to the rear and then place the spare in the front. A lot of work but allows you to carry a small spare.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I have a donut spare that the PO added to the car. He said it came from a mid 80's Lincoln that a guy he met from Ford told him would work. I can see if I can get a part number next time I am at the garage if you want. I keep it in the trunk along with the original spare.
Sure. Would you know the tire diameter or size? Do you carry the second one laying in the trunk without being attached?

It's not just the load rating.  I've always been advised that the spare's circumference should match the rear tires if a car has limited slip.
Yes, but what you would do is place the smaller tire in the front. So if your rear goes flat you have to move the front to the rear and then place the spare in the front. A lot of work but allows you to carry a small spare.

Great point.  I never considered that but I usually use larger rears whenever possible.

Keep a can of fix a flat, a tire plug kit, and a portable dc compressor in the car and splurge on a AAA membership
You guys are practical.... i may throw a small tire just as an insurance. I think i can drive a few miles with a smaller tire in the front if need be.

I got a space saver spare from a Crown Vic and it fits ok. Good enough to get me to a place to fix the flat.
Does this space saver tire fit where the stock spare tire was located (passenger side of the trunk)?

Can you tell me the dimensions of your space saver tire?

I got a space saver spare from a Crown Vic and it fits ok.  Good enough to get me to a place to fix the flat.
Does this space saver tire fit where the stock spare tire was located  (passenger side of the trunk)?

Can you tell me the dimensions of your space saver tire?

It fits but at an angle.  My car is kept in storage so I wouldn't be able to get dimensions until the weekend.

EDIT: Just looked a Crown Vic in 1994 used a P 215-70 x 15 tire. Diameter was 26.8"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure. Would you know the tire diameter or size? Do you carry the second one laying in the trunk without being attached?

I believe it has the same diameter but maybe that is only with a stock tire for the car. I do leave it laying in the trunk, It doesn't slide around. I will get the diameter and take a pic of it in the trunk.

I have recently restored 71 Mach 1 back to original . 351C 4V with factory air. It is in body shop being painted this week. I am missing the space saver spare tire , jack and lug nut wrench. I have heard that a space saver from a Crown Victoria, Lincoln or Marquis would fit , any idea what years?

I appreciate your input, do you think the tire will still fit as car has a fold down rear seat and the panel that drops back into the trunk.

Hey spare tire is not really needed in today's world. The new mustangs do not have any spare just a pump in the well in the back. Lots of cars have no spare today. How many blow outs have you had? A screw or nail in the tire you can plug it or just pump up and go until you get home or to tire shop. With a cell phone and your road side assistance help will be there quick. Not like you are going to walk miles on a dark lonely road today. You do not have to worry about burning out the rear. A donut spare will get you home. If you have a space saver spare I think it is 14" not 15". Hey I never used my space saver spare in my Mach 1. I have only had 3 blow outs in over 2,000,000 miles and I was just running it till there was nothing left.

Keep check on your tire pressure each time you go out you will never have an issue.

I also bought a 72 vert that the spare had never been used.

I would love to sell you insurance would be an easy sale. Me not so.

Just drive it no worries.

Back