• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Gas Pedal Stainless Trim

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff, that stainless trim (D1ZZ-9735-B) was the same for all 71-73 Mustang/Cougar applications. It doesn't look like it is available as a repo and unfortunately the ones from other Ford lines won't work since the one you need is Mustang specific. I checked several of my sources for used parts and they are either out of stock or never had them. I would check with Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motor City Mustang. Since they are member/vendors here and have parts cars, they understand what it's like looking for 71-73 parts!

Jeff, that stainless trim (D1ZZ-9735-B) was the same for all 71-73 Mustang/Cougar applications. It doesn't look like it is available as a repo and unfortunately the ones from other Ford lines won't work since the one you need is Mustang specific. I checked several of my sources for used parts and they are either out of stock or never had them. I would check with Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motor City Mustang. Since they are member/vendors here and have parts cars, they understand what it's like looking for 71-73 parts!
Let me run down this weekend and see if I still have any one the cars out back.

Checked all 30 cars today, none of them have the trim for the gas pedal?  Hopefully Don has one for you.

Hi Don,

-When you have two available for the gas pedal (also one for me)... let me know.

I did not know that there was a chrome trim around the accelerator pedal, now I notice it ... it's missing.

-If you have also a very good used or new one for the power brake pedal (this one have sharp edges)

Thanks,

eddyw

Last edited by a moderator:
Checked all 30 cars today, none of them have the trim for the gas pedal?  Hopefully Don has one for you.
Perhaps that means it was discontinued by Ford at some point in the 71-73 production run. Just a thought. Chuck

Chuck may be on to something there.  My original 53k mile Mach 1 has the trim for the emergency brake, clutch, and the brake pedal but not the accelerator:

Build date for this car was 6/29/73.

The bright trim around the accelerator, brake, clutch and park brake pedals were standard on the Grande and Mach 1 sports interior equipped 71-73 Mustangs. My cousins 73 XR-7 Cougar (Built late 7/73) had the trim on all his pedals. As I had mentioned in some earlier posts, with half smoked joints in the ash trays as the cars came down the line, I'm sure quite a few "Things" did not go out the door as the designers/engineers had planned.

I abused/drag raced my Pewter Mach 1 with no mercy at all which means the "Go" pedal stayed planted in the metal most of the time. The problem I had was the plastic accelerator pedal would flex under my size 13's and the trim was constantly popping off with a couple of the retaining tabs finally breaking off. I ordered several of the trims since I liked the way they looked and continued to have the same problem until I finally broke the accelerator pedal. After ordering a new pedal I decided to just leave the trim off. Unfortunately, other than the ones that are on my Mach 1's now, I don't have any of the extra laying around any more.

The bright trim around the accelerator, brake, clutch and park brake pedals were standard on the Grandé and Mach 1 sports interior equipped 71-73 Mustangs. My cousins 73 XR-7 Cougar (Built late 7/73) had the trim on all his pedals. As I had mentioned in some earlier posts, with half smoked joints in the ash trays as the cars came down the line, I'm sure quite a few "Things" did not go out the door as the designers/engineers had planned.

I abused/drag raced my Pewter Mach 1 with no mercy at all which means the "Go" pedal stayed planted in the metal most of the time. The problem I had was the plastic accelerator pedal would flex under my size 13's and the trim was constantly popping off with a couple of the retaining tabs finally breaking off. I ordered several of the trims since I liked the way they looked and continued to have the same problem until I finally broke the accelerator pedal. After ordering a new pedal I decided to just leave the trim off. Unfortunately, other than the ones that are on my Mach 1's now, I don't have any of the extra laying around any more.
Guys,

Here is a link to where the gas pedal trim was discussed before and outcome. 

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-accelerator-pedal-trim-or-not-what-s-correct?highlight=stainless+trim

My 73 Mach 1 built in May 73 has them so was not discontinued then. Not all cars got them. I believe it was part of the convenience group. I did not let the dealer prep my car and when I was cleaning there was an extra trim for the brake pedal under the seat.

I thought I had seen them in NPD catalog?

Jeff, appreciate the link to that previous discussion. It seems to mirror this one with the 73's having the greatest number with the missing accelerator pedal trim. I've checked all my Ford and Mercury info and they all say the same thing. The 71-73 Grande and Mach 1 Sport Interior optioned Mustangs and 71-73 Cougar vert and XR-7 came with the trim on ALL pedals. There was a Décor option on the Cougar that included several upgraded exterior and interior items along with the pedal trim on all pedals for the interior.

Our original owners seem to be split equally on the "Have-Don't Have" trim on the gas pedal. It's very well possible there could have been some supply issues at Dearborn. The end of the line was fast approaching for the first generation Mustang/Cougar, and since these trims were specific to these two cars it is possible the supplier had already scaled back production.

As I had mentioned to Boss1Ray, I sure wish we could snag a retired Dearborn line worked that was there when these cars were actually being built. He did post an excellent interview with a line worker at the Pinto plant. (That's why I keep mentioning the lit joint in the ash tray). :whistling:

Then...we will also ask him what or who decided which handle the shifter received on the automatic cars. My cousins loaded 73 XR-7  received a chrome handle, while my middle of the road nothing special Mach 1 received the black and chrome leather look handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back