Which shock for a 73 Stang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NG8264723

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang f code MACHI
Purchased in 1997 or so
I have read that the 73 is a little different.  Does anyone know which shock is correct?

I have read that the 73 is a little different.  Does anyone know which shock is correct?
What do you mean by correct? 

Concours correct? Correct fit?  Correct in function?  Correct in looks?  Correct in autocross performance ? Correct for drag racing?  Correct for your wallet?

Thanks 73 Pony!

Just regular day-day driving for Bentworker

Thanks 73 Pony!

Just regular day-day driving for Bentworker
As far as I know the 71-73 shocks are all the same.  Pick your flavor from a few diffrent manufactures, if you desire more options you can go with the 68-70 shock tower cap (bolt on, no modification needed) you can run the earler shocks and have many more choices including Bilstein.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's just it. I read the 73's were longer.....

It was here but the really was not a clear answer. Which is why I am asking again

I used the KYBs also, but the lower pressure gas GR-2 / Excel-G model on my '71 Grande. Rock Auto part numbers 343156 front, and 343219 rear. Was $91 for all four shipped! I've paid WAY more than that for just one shock in the past!

I promised myself that I wouldn't ruin the ride quality of another Mustang in the name of good handling, and I couldn't be happier - these shocks give a plush, insulated ride that still has great control (especially over the worn out oil shocks that were on it). This is now the nicest riding vintage Mustang that I've ever owned!

Another option would be :

Bilstein RCD-55-R047 and RCD-55-R056

I am considering these for my 1973 convertible.

These shocks are more expensive. I spoke to somebody from opentrackerracing.com and asked his opinion:

"The Bilstien shocks are a big improvement over the KYB shocks. They provide a much better ride quality and better handling. I believe the shocks are an area where you really get what you pay for. Everyone notices a big improvement by switching to the Bilstien's. "

I still haven't made up my mind yet since everybody speaks highly about the KYB's on this forum. The only thing I wonder is why the KYB's are so cheap and how the quality is in the long run...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back