Mustang owner back in the day

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
Article photos from a Mustang owner. The info associated with the pics make it sound like it was a police undercover agent car or maybe just his personal car used in his line of work... ???

http://www.robertankony.com/law-enforcement/

The following pics have narration under each in the webpage.

I captured and placed under each respectively.

His pics and their related story about his Vietnam War service and Law Enforcement career are interesting.  ---Some cool guns too.

72 Grande Robert Ankony.jpg

Tuesday, August 1, 1972. In Detroit after completing a narcotics raid. Kevlar vests were just coming into service and our military flack vests were too heavy and cumbersome, so we relied on surprise, speed, and luck for survival. Luck was the most important and that could range from the expected: being shot at as we rammed through a door––to the unexpected: dodging bullets popping through a ceiling as an officer directly above me shot attacking dogs.

Mustang Robert Ankony.jpg

Saturday, August 19, 1972. Niagara Falls, Canada. There’s a story behind this picture. At home in Detroit one night, a felon driving a stolen taxi slammed a car over the curb. I gave pursuit and arrested the driver who damaged my car as I blocked him on Michigan Avenue. My lieutenant, angry the next morning that I used a county car for non-narcotic work, sent me for estimates to every repair shop in Western Wayne County. “I didn’t do anything wrong,” I griped to fellow officers, “but when I get that ***kin’ car back I’m gonna!” And that’s what I did, I drove it to the Falls with my girlfriend.

Mustang Robert Ankony 1.jpg

Friday, September 15, 1972. Fellow officer, Dennis Neimic, was on a narcotics investigation in Detroit using my Mustang when he was broadsided by a motorist who ran a red light. Neimic lived, but was hospitalized for weeks.

14.jpg

Thursday, July 19, 1973. Assigned to our Patrol and Investigation Division. I loved cruising the county. One Sunday morning as I drove a major highway I got into a chase with a woman and stopped her by shooting out her right tires with my .357 magnum. Her car was full of clothes and she was enraged at her husband so she took it out at me, biting and clawing until I dragged her out of the car as churchgoers stopped and gawked. Wives can be great companions and lots of fun, but from a cop's perspective, an angry wife can be something else all together. She can stop your heart. At a traffic accident one rainy night, placing flares in the road, another enraged housewife sped off without her glasses directly into the accident scene. I saw a pair of headlights bracketing me, one on the right and one on the left, barreling right at me. All I could do was leap straight up in the air. Her bumper caught me in both calves and I could hear her shrill screams as I reverse-somersaulted over her hood, windshield, roof, and trunk. I bounced off the pavement, saw a flash of light; then everything went black.

Ray

Great find Ray and thanks for posting it up. I love reading or listening to stories of owners back in the day with these types of cars. When there's pics to accompanythem makes it even better. I can sit there for hours listening and have from the everyday bloke that had a muscle car back in the day to workshop and race car mechanics to the drivers themselves that drove them on the track. These were truly great times and obviously will never happen again as the government needs to protect us from ourselves. Unfortunately for me I was born too late to experience it all, but remembering being a kid in the 70's and riding around in these now old cars and loving the sounds, smells and the feel of the vinyl seats and being burnt by them in the middle of summer. Even being crammed in the back of a station wagon with my uncle (only 2 years older than me) and all the luggage for a 5+ hour road trip to take my grandparents back home, hold great memories for me. Well I did try once to get that experience of driving these cars back in the 70's but only got as far as going through a brick fence down the bottom of a big hill. My parents still like to remind me of that, lol. 

Again thanks for posting this up Ray, I can never get enough of this stuff.

Back