Bolting on freshly painted parts

Hey guys, is there a way not to hurt the paint of freshly painted parts when bolting your car together? When I bolted my door hinges on I crack some of the paint under the heads of the bolts when I tightened them down. I will be hanging the fenders soon and do not want to mess up the paint when I bolt the fenders on. Any tricks? Hints? Tape under the heads??

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

Sorry, didn't read your post well enough, didn't have any problems with paint cracking while bolting it on. Assumed that you were asking about scratching other surfaces.

Larry

I use washers made from milk jug material, panels slide around easy for adjustment without scratching. then I replace them one by one. 3m yellow tape one all the edges. also works instaed of the plastic washers if you don't want to make them

sorry I didn't help with your question. if the film thickness of the primer/paint is thick and you get the cracks you may have to live with it. put some paint or clear on the cracks if you can to keep moisture out

I use plastic washers under my fender bolts. I plan on removing my fenders to install my engine. When I install fenders for the final time I plan using the plastic washers to get alignment. Then remove one at a time.

- Mike