Removal of battery 429/71?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Ford focus and 1967 Fiat 500.
Hi guys...is there a special trick? I want to remove the battery from my 71/429, but I am finding it quite difficult. The big coolant pipe is in the way.....blocking the battery bracket nut.

Any ideas?

No real trick, I just loosen off the nut on the long thread so the J hook on the end pops out of the hole, undo the bolt that holds the hold down piece across the battery to the bracket on the inner guard and remove the entire hold down. Then undo terminals and take them off then you right to remove the battery. When I had to replace the battery that was in my car, the battery was a bit bigger than the one in it now and the top radiator hose was slightly in the way. I just took off the radiator cap and nudged the hose to give me enough clearance to get the battery out. Mines a 351 4V car, but can't imagine it being too much different to a 429 equipped car as it sounds just like my setup with the threaded rod close to the top radiator hose. If need be maybe loosen the top hose and remove that side only from the radiator and kink it back to give you the clearance you need to get at everything. Make sure the battery you get works before putting the battery clamp back on and fully tighten it. Should do the trick.

Hi guys...is there a special trick? I want to remove the battery from my 71/429, but I am finding it quite difficult. The big coolant pipe is in the way.....blocking the battery bracket nut.

Any ideas?
Can you post a pic? I have a 460 and I don't have much trouble removing my battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok...great info...thanks. I actually loosened both nuts, but I still couldnt get the bracket off. I will work with it. Afterall it MUST be able to come off.

I will post a picture as soon as I am back with car.

Had the same issue on my j-code car.  I think the 429 cars use a larger radiator than the 351 cars.  The 'trick' is to take the top two radiator hold downs off and move the radiator up just enough to get the battery hold-downs off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back