Fuel Pump lobe broken

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collardgreen

Reaction score
My Car
71 - Coupe
73 - Grande
well...first I am new to this forums, glad I found it...here is my problem:

broken fuel pump lobe, not sure what you call this but I would called it like a dowel...

2z6uufk.jpg

op311s.jpg

any suggestions how to fix/remove this? Also, can you look where the gears go(behind the cam gear), might just be me but...should it look like the area is wearing?

Welcome aboard then my friend!... Well.. i have no clue about mechanics but wait a couple of hours and you´ll see that somebody will help you... This is how we work arround here, help is always minutes away ;)

I suggest you do your propper presentation telling us something about you, your car.. maybe behind the story, a couple of pics and you´ll be good to go! :)

Enjoy our site!

Is this a 351W/302 , your thrust plate have badly wearing. Do you use a one peace or two peace excentric? How looks your timing cover from the inside? There are two different dowels availible. You can pull the dowel out and put a new one in.

Found a good information here: http://www.compcams.com/Content/StaticContent.aspx?ID=411&Title=ford-technical-info&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Camshaft Dowel Pin/Fuel Pump Eccentric

Two different length dowel pins were used in the front of the cams in 221-351W engines. In 1972 and earlier engines, a longer (1.375”) dowel pin was used so that it would extend through the one piece fuel pump eccentric used on these engines. The 1973 and later engines utilized a two piece fuel pump eccentric which required a shorter (1.125”) dowel pin. If no eccentric is used, a thicker than standard retaining washer must be used to make up for the thickness of the eccentric. The cam gear MUST be pulled tightly against the snout of the cam. If the gear is not tight against the step at the front of the cam the bolt will come loose and engine failure is sure to occur.

Dowel pin failure is fairly common in Small Block Ford engines. This is almost never the result of a defective or soft dowel pin. It is most often caused by the bolt in the center of the cam coming loose and allowing the dowel pin to be loaded and shear. The center bolt should always be torqued to the manufacturer’s specification and a suitable thread lock used to prevent the bolt from coming loose.

Back