Where to buy a new/used and working power steering box

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

street rod mach 1

Reaction score
My Car
I own a 1973 Mustang Mach 1, currently in the restoration process.
So I was wondering where besides a junkyard thats about an hour away I could buy a new or used power steering box. The one in my car is running like crap and making the horrible belt squeaking noise when I give her some gas, doesn't run very smoothly. I am only 16 years old so if its a more affordable price I would appreciate it. It's been probably close to 10 months since I last made a thread on here or even came to this website, love the new updates too. Thanks guys

Probably either the pump or the belt too loose.
would that cause my steering wheel to be a workout to turn? the power steering only sometimes works when the rpms are atleast 1k higher than idle

Yes, if it's really loose. Another possibility is a low fluid level. Air bubbles can cause noise and lack of power steering.
no air bubbles and ill top off the fuel level a little later and see if that fixes it, got the car back from a shop about two weeks ago and i would assume with the full engine rebuild they would have filled the pump all the way up, there is stain marks all around the base of the dipstick tube so it may have leaked out a bit which is not good. ill try filling it up again and if that doesnt work ill order a new pump, pretty sure mine is all original and 44 years old through 4 owners so that very well could be my problem. somehow i still have the original numbers matching engine though through all of the owners lol

After rebuilding my power steering pump some time back without thinking about it I used some generic power steering fluid and it squealed and acted like you said yours did! Read here and on other places to use "ATF Type F" fluid. I drained what I had put in and used the type F and virtually no squealing after that. Like said before check for good belt tension and if changing the fluid that the pump has been bleed properly (easy to do by hand). I refereed to the Ford service manual when putting the correct fluid in the second time around (should have done that first!) You never know what the previous owner or some mechanic may have done in the past. Good luck...

I agree with the ATF Type F fluid. A number of older systems use this instead of modern power steering fluid. The belt sounds like it needs tension. The old one might be stretched. The adjustment slot on the bracket doesn't offer much. This would be a good time to change all of the belts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back