orig tach not working now ???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 convertible with 351C and C6 trans
got everything put back together and finished on saturday. (rebuilt engine) fired it up and set idle using tach.. took for first drive today and now tach not

working.. checked wires on coil, ok... now i did notice my temp gage is reading low and i have a 180° STAT.. engine is very warm , feels like 180 with putting hand on intake manifold. another thing is the new 3 core alum rad feels just warm, so that's doing a very nice job. 

any thought on the tach ???

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry it's orig.. i change the topic too.

if i'm correct.. it runs off the resistor wire and spliced off and goes to the coil.. correct.. 

don't know what happened it worked fine saturday with i fired up motor..

with the car running smack the dash panel just under the tach and see if that makes it work.

they get stuck when all worn out.

The wiring between the ignition switch and the coil actually runs through the tachometer, before the connection to the resistor wire. There's a small transformer in the tachometer that transfers pulses from the ignition coil into the tachometer electronics. If your tachometer quit without you doing any ignition or wiring modifications it's probably an internal problem with the tachometer's internal electronics.

If it is your tachometer I would get Rocketman (a site advertiser) to convert your tachometer to modern circuitry

http://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-mustang-all

The wiring between the ignition switch and the coil actually runs through the tachometer, before the connection to the resistor wire. There's a small transformer in the tachometer that transfers pulses from the ignition coil into the tachometer electronics. If your tachometer quit without you doing any ignition or wiring modifications it's probably an internal problem with the tachometer's internal electronics.

If it is your tachometer I would get Rocketman (a site advertiser) to convert your tachometer to modern circuitry

http://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-mustang-all
Correct: the actual gauge mechanism itself has taken a dump, and not the transformer.  If the transformer went, then the car wouldn't run.  Before giving up the original tach, ask Robert of Rocketman (RCCI) to see if he can repair the mechanism.  The original tach is quite valuable and worth repairing.

yup you are welcome..

it will stick from time to time,, don't get bash happy just give it a light smack when it needs it. when you don't drive the car for a few days it sticks again.

i need my gauges rebuilt as well.

face.gif

Back