FMX Kickdown rod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odmark

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mercury Cougar
Hello guys! Simple question.

Is it true that i might burn my FMX transmission if i drive with the kickdown rod unattached?

I have an aftermarket intake and an edelbrock carburetor, and the rod is too short. I cant bend it in palace either so i have to lenghten it, but i havent done it yet.

Last summer i drove without it, i just shifted manually and no issues so far.

Driving without the kickdown rod will not hurt the transmission (if it's operating as it should). You might 'lug' the engine a bit on occasion, but that's taken care of when you were probably down-shifting it manually, which is fine.

I don't see how :)

A kickdown rod shifts down when you floor it as far as I understand. With the rod dc-ed it just doesn't shift down I guess.

Thanks for the replies! Its reassuring. I was almost attacked on Facebook for running without a kickdown rod "because it causes low oil pressure and excessive wear on the clutches"

I will fix the kickdown though, i have looked at the lokar kit but for now i will just fabricate something myself :)

Also, what one did you purchase RCH71?

Hi! I used KD-2FMXHT. If I am not wrong…the only difference between the lokar options is the material finish and the cable length. So choose what best fits your engine!

Link: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/lok-kd-2fmxht/overview/?retaillocation=int

I attached the side that goes in the carburetor to the throttle link bracket, and then routed the cable down the firewall along with the speedometer cable. Once you get to the transmission you have to turn the cable so it is facing to the front of the car. The kit comes with a “L” shape tab, I attached this tab to one of the transmission oil pan screws. Then just attach the cable to the kickdown lever.

Once the cable is installed you will need to adjust it…it is really easy!...let me know if you need help with this.

Hope this helps!!...tried to be as celar as possible!

P.D. before someone points it out….I have a leak in the transmission! Planning on taking the transmission down to change all the seals, install a shift kit and change the converter!

alojamiento de imagenes gratis

This is excellent! I was wondering I see a bunch of reviews and comments saying it is missing the adapter for the carburetor... Did you bolt it up or need additional parts?
Used only the hardware provided with the kit. I used the original throttle cable braket from the 351C. I just bolted the kickdown cable to the same bolt that secures the throttle cable to the original bracket. 

While on the topic of FMX kickdown rods and linkages, I was wondering if you guys could help me determine if mine is stock or not? I apologize if this is too much of a thread hijack.

I have a 351c with an aftermarket edelbrock carb installed by the previous owner and after doing some reading it sounds like the stock FMX kickdown wont fit with an edelbrock carb? So since mine does fit I'm wondering if someone could let me know if mine looks stock or not.. Reason for my wondering is I just purchased a Holley Sniper EFI unit which is not compatible out of the box with the FMX kickdown (requires the purchase of something like a Lokar Kit). But since mine is working with the edelbrock carb I'm hoping something has been done to it already and it might fit the sniper..

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Pictures:

The stock kickdown rod can be adapted (bent, tweaked or extended) to work with Edelbrock carburetors, I have done it.

It appears to me that the Sniper is set up to pull, not push, the kickdown, so you'll likely need the Lokar cable, unless you want to try to build an adapter that pushes.

The stock kickdown rod can be adapted (bent, tweaked or extended) to work with Edelbrock carburetors, I have done it.

It appears to me that the Sniper is set up to pull, not push, the kickdown, so you'll likely need the Lokar cable, unless you want to try to build an adapter that pushes.
Thanks for the help Don, in that case I will grab the lokar cable then. By any chance do you know which one it is specifically? Waiting on a response from the other thread, seems like there are a couple different options with lokar.

Back