4 Speed toploader rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadian_red_maple_leaf

Reaction score
My Car
1966 Mustang K-Code Coupe
1968 VW Beetle
1969 Mustang Mach1
1971 Mustang 351 Boss
1972 Mustang Convertible
1983 Mercedes 280SL
hi folks,

i had to rebuild my 4 speed toploader because there were singing noises coming from the 1,2 and 3 gear. i figured it might just be the front bearing, but to be on the safe side i bought the big transmission rebuild kit. the tranny is for my little k-code but it's basically the toploader thats used in all of our mustangs.

what you need besides a little courage is a workshop manual, transmission repair book, an exploded view of the toploader and patience

this is my friend ed that helped me while i was taking pictures

thanks for watching

abudi

here's a little video before installation.

thanks

abudi

Great Job abudi!! I always love to read your posts!!

You document your work really well and it is always helpful for us who watch!!

As the trans... Did it came up ok?! I hope it did!

Thanks man!

thanks guys.

i'm glad you like the thread. i hope it helps if someone wants to tackle a toploader project.

abudi

It has been probably 20 years since I was last inside a top loader and this sure did bring back some memories! Thanks for the detailed look at a great transmission rebuild!

Mac

Super!!! I don't think I can find better post to redress the Toploader!!! Fantastic!!! Many thanks ;)

Don't you just love the smell of old gear oil, lol. Only had to do toploader once wife broke 3 gear, lol. I did lots of Ford three speeds that I broke a pile of.

You are right about the toploader being the same for most but there are a bunch of different configurations. The 1964 1/2 Mustang was first year for it and in a D code 289 4-V it came with a 25 spline output shaft. Just one of those different things on a 64 1/2. It was only made for 90 days and had the narrow spacing on the bell housing bolts and one of the cast bosses was not drilled. The 289 HP came with 28 splines in 64 1/2. The 25 spline proved to be too small and was breaking so Ford switched all to 28 spline for 65 model change. I have one of the 64 1/2 25 spline if anyone is searching for one. Have the 5 bolt bell housing and shifter also. Guy says he wants for his Falcon that needs one to be right but he has not came with money in hand, lol. Has never been painted and still has all the original paint markings.

David

David, this is unrelated to the 4sp top loader, but since your familiar with early Ford products I thought I'd probe your memory cells. Do you remember a Dagenham 4sp Ford used in the 1964 built and 65-66 170 and 200 6 cyl Mustangs. Your talking about trashing so many 3.03's reminded me of a friend had a 65 200 6cyl Mustang with the Dagenham 4sp. About every six months he would wad one out. For some reason a local salvage yard had a good stock of them and eventually sold all of them to him! By that time the rest of the car was trashed and he junked it.     :D

The Dagenham 4 speed tranny used for inliners was considered to be as fragile as paper. If you drove like a grandma, you might make it for a couple of years. I believe it did not have synchromesh gears.

Yes they did break easy. I think it was named Dagenham because was made in England and used by Ford there.

I have broke transmission in the 1950 pulled in garaged changed backed out in the road dropped the clutch and broke another. They were only $5.00 back then but I only made $1.00 and hour also.

I still have several I had for spares one NOS still in the Ford crate.

D

Back