Standard interior upholstry install TMI

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

83slimer

Reaction score
My Car
1973 sportsroof mustang
Hi Guy's

Took 4 months to get my TMI upholstry set in , apparently they were back ordered .  

Well it was worth the wait, great quality I have not one single complaint about the fit and finish, best 450$ canadian I ever spent. I sandblasted and POR 15d the seat frames, added extra seat frame springs from a donor seat base for the drivers seat for added support and repaired all the cracks.  I used my old foam and had to add some side bolstering where the origional felt was missing on each side of the driver and pass side seats.  Hog ringed where they were required and SHABAM !! done, 

My interior was ginger origionally , now all black , love the look , I like the look of the standard interior over the deluxe .20170506_233436.jpg20170506_233320.jpg

Good for you! For all the items I can do on my mustang, seat recovering is something I tried for an hour then gave up and took to the shop.., maybe I am just getting impatient with my build, trying to get it done after two long years of continual work on the car. I like the TMI stuff too.

That looks damn sharp, 'slimer! Nice work! ::thumb::

I saved the top of the back seat for the last, thinking it would be the easiest... but nope - it gave me fits every bit as much as any of the other components!

I have a whole new respect for anybody who can and/or do upholstery - I'm pretty sure I don't ever want to do that again.  You're not missing much, PB - it's a job that can definitely turn into one of those "better off letting someone else do it" type deals.

I was surprised how easy it went on, ya the top of the back seat had to be stretched a bit, all in all it was straight forward but I can imagine if I used new foam it would have been much harder to put the new upholstery on as it would make fitment tighter. Needless to say after doing the 3 seats all my fingers were very sore , it was a bit of a workout lol

Good for you! For all the items I can do on my mustang, seat recovering is something I tried for an hour then gave up and took to the shop.., maybe I am just getting impatient with my build, trying to get it done after two long years of continual work on the car. I like the TMI stuff too.
I get ya I'm at 2.5 years non stop , easy to get pissed off at this point but I'm so close now it's starting to get fun again. Keep at it!

E83slimer pid='297849' dateline='1494433499']I was surprised how easy it went on' date=' ya the top of the back seat had to be stretched a bit, all in all it was straight forward but I can imagine if I used new foam it would have been much harder to put the new upholstery on as it would make fitment tighter. Needless to say after doing the 3 seats all my fingers were very sore , it was a bit of a workout lol[/quote']
Your seats look great! I just started doing mine today. I have a couple of questions, when you did the top rear seat, did you install the hog rings thru the clear plastic piece or did you install them on the otherside of the plastic piece ( the round piping)? Here's a couple pictures if this helps explain what I mean. RyanView attachment 38444View attachment 38445

I went with the hog rings 'surrounding' the clear piping - it seems like it would've been a lot more effort to get the ring to pierce the piping, and even then it probably would've split or broken free.

I was surprised how easy it went on, ya the top of the back seat had to be stretched a bit, all in all it was straight forward but I can imagine if I used new foam it would have been much harder to put the new upholstery on as it would make fitment tighter. Needless to say after doing the 3 seats all my fingers were very sore , it was a bit of a workout lol
Your seats look great! I just started doing mine today. I have a couple of questions, when you did the top rear seat, did you install the hog rings thru the clear plastic piece or did you install them on the otherside of the plastic piece ( the round piping)? Here's a couple pictures if this helps explain what I mean. Ryan
I went around the round piping, the stuff seems tuff as nails, I found the easiest way was to stretch the upholstry as much as i could by compressing the foam on the front then put the hog ring in .

Your seats look great! I just started doing mine today. I have a couple of questions, when you did the top rear seat, did you install the hog rings thru the clear plastic piece or did you install them on the otherside of the plastic piece ( the round piping)? Here's a couple pictures if this helps explain what I mean. Ryan
I went around the round piping, the stuff seems tuff as nails, I found the easiest way was to stretch the upholstry as much as i could by compressing the foam on the front then put the hog ring in .
Great, thanks for the info. I ended up doing it the same way. Ryan

Door panels look great! I went with the TMI door panels also. Ryan

Back