Turn signals not working

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickob17

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach 1
Hello everyone, 

So I just got back from school and I'm working with my dad on his 1971 Mach 1 mustang and we're now on the final stretch to getting it inspected and insured. Our only problem though is that the turn signals won't work. Additionally the radio and clock don't work but we figured if we can get the turn signals to work then we can take it to someone who has more electrical experience if it gets to be above our paygrade. However, I've tried changing the flasher, checking the fuse panel for rust, changing the fuses, and now just checked the back of the fuse panel to look at the connections and they seem to be in the exact same shape as the others. What else could be the problem? Does anyone know what my next step to figuring this out is?

Thanks

Turn signal issues are usually due to a bad turn signal switch under the steering wheel. That switch has fairly low reliability.

The radio works off of the same fuse as your PRNDL lamp and backup lights. If your backup lights work, then the issue is not in the fuse box but somewhere from there to the radio. The clock probably doesn't work due to age, dirt, and corrosion inside the clock itself. These clocks were not known for long-lives.

What he said

There are two flasher units one for blinkers and one for hazard lights if I remember correctly.

Check the ground connections from the harness in the trunk and up front at the radiator support they get rusty.

The bulb sockets also get corrosion.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your bulbs. Right part numbers in right socket. I had 1 wrong bulb in and my whole system wouldn't work correctly

There is a ground behind the instrument cluster, you might need to check/ clean

Back