Roofrail Weatherstrip

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72FastbackWNC

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback
My roofrail weatherstrip on my 72 fastback is pretty deteriorated. With no quarter window crank to lower it, what steps do I need to do to get the window out of the way to replace the weatherstrip? I'm guessing remove the interior quarter panels to access the quarter window to remove it so it's out of the way? 

Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

My roofrail weatherstrip on my 72 fastback is pretty deteriorated. With no quarter window crank to lower it, what steps do I need to do to get the window out of the way to replace the weatherstrip? I'm guessing remove the interior quarter panels to access the quarter window to remove it so it's out of the way? 

There no easier way

There no easier way
Let me know how it goes. I have had that area opened up before. The entire window and brackets are pretty accessable if I remember correctly. I had to replace one of my quarter windows because the PO shoved a roughly cut piece of plexiglass in the frame. Like I said, let me know how it goes..................

Yea I just took this all out of our 72 Mach. Remove the trim, then remove the quarter glass weatherstrip that screws into the C pillar above the door strike catch, then there a 3 bolts that hold the glass in. Then slide the glass forward sliding the metal part of the glass through the C pillar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this point in time you probably have rust issues between the aluminum roof trim and the roof above the window. When my car was new it leaked like crazy and they could not find the hole. It was the roof rail leaking not the window rubber and my car had power windows so the window did go up and down.

This job is one of those that sort of snowballs out of control but has to be done to keep the water out. Another reason to never wash these cars with hose or car wash.

I myself would rather use the 3-M windshield strip adhesive sealer to seal it up instead of the foam. The foam did not work in the first place so why keep trying. Remember what Albert Einstein said, " doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is a sign of insanity".

At this point in time you probably have rust issues between the aluminum roof trim and the roof above the window. When my car was new it leaked like crazy and they could not find the hole. It was the roof rail leaking not the window rubber and my car had power windows so the window did go up and down.

This job is one of those that sort of snowballs out of control but has to be done to keep the water out. Another reason to never wash these cars with hose or car wash.

I myself would rather use the 3-M windshield strip adhesive sealer to seal it up instead of the foam. The foam did not work in the first place so why keep trying. Remember what Albert Einstein said, " doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is a sign of insanity".
I just replaced the sealant yesterday with the foam from CJ's Pony parts. My car was re-painted a year ago, no leakage prior, and I had them put new roof-rail weatherstrips on, so I figured there was a sealing problem between the body and the channel the weatherstrip snaps into. The self adhesive roll as bought is sufficient to not only seal the raingutter to body first, but, also the weatherstrip channel to body, which attaches over the rain gutter attachment. I couldn't test it tonight, but tomorrow or the next day I want to wash it anyway, so I'll post back in as to how I did. I'm betting on the positive. It wasn't all that difficult a process really.

O.K. you guys....I washed my Mach today with a pressure nozzle intent on seeing if the sealing strips from CJ's Pony Parts did the trick. The results are a resounding success. Just as it should be. Now, I must admit, there was no mention on the internet about sealing the raingutter piece to the roof first....that was just my take on it, as there are four screws going into the body, and I wanted to be sure they didn't seep, or leak OVER the roof-rail weatherstrip channel. Then, I attached the self adhesive foam strip to the bright metal weatherstrip channel piece(s), and attached that up to the roof. This all seemed fairly straightforward to me and I don't see why any of you shouldn't get the same results.

Another upshot to this is, that It's about time to replace my seat upholstery ( again ). As long as the rear seat back and bottom are out ( removed because you need to remove the rear side panels and rear glass to do the seal-up job ), and my beautiful wife got me an entire seat upholstery kit last Christmas, now is a good time 'cause the rear seat is out. The seats are in the upholstery shop as we speak, and I'm driving around with just the driver's seat in. When the seats already in the shop are done ( this week ), I'll swap out the driver's seat and have it done last. The two front seats are interchangeable. This will be the third time the seats have been upholstered, once from the factory, and now twice since as long as I've owned it. Like I have told people....I drive this car everyday and wear and tear is a part of useage but I keep it maintained as well.

All,

I got the foam rubber from CJ Pony Parts, strategically placed body sealant in the curved areas, and had a rear floor pan full of water this morning. No carpet is installed yet! It was a major gully washer yesterday evening. Looks like I am going to look at following Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs suggestion this weekend.

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
Another interesting thing that I found, was when I removed the bright metal weatherstrip channel, then the brite metal raingutter,......there's an insert, kind of a foam rubber piece inside of the raingutter that seals the raingutter to the "pinch moulding". Again, I don't ever think I've seen this advertised but it must be there for a reason, like sealing the rain from running under the metal raingutters. Anyone out there have the same sealing strip inside of your rain gutters? You can't see it until you remove the gutter.

Back