front cross member replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul113

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Fastback
1871 Mach 1 M code 4 speed
My 71 Mach 1 M code's front crossmember has some substantial rust and I have decided to replace it with the Dynacorn replacement crossmember. Does anyone here have any experience in doing this? Should I brace the frame (weld in something) to prevent the frame from shifting when i cut out the original. I am doing this with the engine in.Just looking or any pitfalls to avoid. Thanks

I can't speak to how you want to do it, but when I replaced the cross member on a Fairlane I've got, I took it to a body shop and had them do it on their frame machine to make sure it stayed square. I also took the engine out, since the motor mounts bolt to the cross member, and I think it would be pretty difficult to get to all the weld points with it in the way.

Steve

I can't speak to how you want to do it, but when I replaced the cross member on a Fairlane I've got, I took it to a body shop and had them do it on their frame machine to make sure it stayed square. I also took the engine out, since the motor mounts bolt to the cross member, and I think it would be pretty difficult to get to all the weld points with it in the way.

Steve
sorry Steve. I mean the front crossmember. Not under the engine.

If you don't want to pull the engine at a minimum I would brace between the shock towers. Personally I would pull the engine. When you've got enough stuff removed to pull the crossmember you could have the engine out in 20 or 30 minutes. That would take that load off the chassis, reducing the possibility of things shifting around. Someone posted the chassis measurements on our forum a couple of years ago, look them up and get everything as close as you can, tack the crossmember in place and check the measurements again, and once again after getting some of the welding done.

The car also must be level before you start installing the new crossmember.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve
sorry Steve. I mean the front crossmember. Not under the engine.
Oops! Guess I wasn't thinking. :p

Steve

If you don't want to pull the engine at a minimum I would brace between the shock towers. Personally I would pull the engine. When you've got enough stuff removed to pull the crossmember you could have the engine out in 20 or 30 minutes. That would take that load off the chassis, reducing the possibility of things shifting around. Someone posted the chassis measurements on our forum a couple of years ago, look them up and get everything as close as you can, tack the crossmember in place and check the measurements again, and once again after getting some of the welding done.

The car also must be level before you start installing the new crossmember.
any way you can steer me to those chassis measurements?

Front crossmember as in what the strut rods connect to?
You are correct sir.
mach71351c,

I would hope that some metal plates would be installed inside the tubes to add strength back to the welding of the frame-

mustang7173

Back