Boss 351 carburetor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra94svt

Reaction score
My Car
1965 fastback, 1965 coupe, 1966 coupe, 1979 Indy Pace car, 1989 notch, 1994 cobra, 2001 GT vert
What's the likelihood of finding a boss 351 carb? Looking at buying a shop project car and it's missing the carburetor and intake. The carburetor concerns me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that was a 4300D Spreadbore 715 CFM, someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it was used on the Boss 351, 351HO (72 R-Code) and maybe the 71 M Code.

^^ I agree. They're rather easy to find given your wallet does not object.

My wallet is blind, on a list for a seeing eye dog, and can't see spending that kind of money for something that didn't work that well to start with. lollerz

Things may change once I actually start the restoration, but that's a ways down the road.

Steve

Run some ads on the different forums and even look for one that maybe the fuel inlet threads are screwed up on. You can take to good machinist and have a sleeve put in to fix the threads and never know it.

I found three of the super rare Towne Top removable hard tops for 1965 Mustang that Ford sold last year, really found 7 but others were  really a basket case. I ran ads on several forums and on cl in several different cities.

There were only three of these know to exist as stated by Mustang Monthly in an article in 2008 and I now own 3 myself two which they had never found that model of.

The parts are out there and reasonable if you put the leg work in to find them and with today's internet it is so easy.

By the way I paid a fraction of what the tops sell for did not pay any where near market price for them.

It is the rarest accessory option ever sold for Mustang. I have the production records and where each was sold.

I know guys that have NOS side oiler 427 blocks but will not sell. When they die the family will sell and just want money. Same with the more rare parts and cars people have in their hoard. You never know when some old guy like me is going to fall over and all his hoard of stuff will be sold to get rid of it.

I have the opportunity to by a package deal of 3 cars. All 3 are missing carbs and intakes. I've located and purchased 2 intakes all ready. But still looking for at least one carb. Lol

A lot depends on how correct you want your Boss to be. If you need an original 4300D (D1ZZ-9510-Z  ID# D1ZF-ZA) expect a large outlay of your lunch money. Bob Perkins had one on E-Bay recently for $8500.00! Admittedly he is on the extreme high end of the price spectrum. As David suggested, you can search various on line sources, car shows with parts vendors, etc as reasonably priced parts are out there. Some of the unique Boss parts just makes the search a little harder. If not concerned about Concours correct and you just need something to get it running, you could always use a 72-74  4300D carburetor until you find the correct carb. By 1974 all the spread bores had been replaced by one service replacement carb (D4OZ-9510-F Motorcraft CA-885-D ID# D4PE-AA). I know there was a spread bore Holly some people were running, but I don't have any experience running one so I can't offer any glowing endorsements for it.      

The unfortunate side of your problem is that the original intake can be found, but the matching carburetor is rare and expensive. The flip side being that the Ford over the counter "Square" bore Boss intake (D1XZ-9424-DA) is almost impossible to find, but the number of carburetors that would fit it would be endless.

Good luck with your search.

We've been talking to the owner and hoping we can pick the worst car of the group and get the carburetor he has for it. Will still have to get a correct N case rear end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm officially looking for a boss 351 carb!!! Better start saving my pennies and hope my kids don't want college lol.

We've been talking to the owner and hoping we can pick the worst car of the group and get the carburetor he has for it. Will still have to get a correct N case rear end.
22468b9d02d4ef55e1ad9426066808f3.jpg

It looks like this was originally Grabber Lime like mine but it looks to have a white interior which would be pretty unusual.

It looks like this was originally Grabber Lime like mine but it looks to have a white interior which would be pretty unusual.

Yes you are correct. I've been looking too see if there is a breakdown of how many of each color. After we look at the car i will get a Marti for it. The owner has a correct carb for a boss. This is missing everything actually and needs a lot of rust repair. Any idea on price?

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened with the other two cars?

Someone fill me in on the blanks. Is not the only thing different on the Boss carbs the size of the gas inlet? Yes part numbers and such are different but without pulling the air cleaner nobody will know it is not the right one. I would get the cars and not sweat the carbs. They will turn up somewhere.

So can someone post pictures of what we should be looking for?

The one we have.

9ddaeb208879301a74be1cd17e305bcd.jpg

d20e0f9a4a135c5defb0f68d320fc2a2.jpg

Actually in the process of getting all 4 bosses today and tomorrow.

22468b9d02d4ef55e1ad9426066808f3.jpg

Actually in the process of getting all 4 bosses today and tomorrow.

4!!! Selling any?

28c2eb62a28b5754435a92c6facb78f6.jpg

Back