-- VILAN -- TAIL LIGHT LENS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
I am Currently restomoding a 71 Fastback. I designed a wide-body kit for the rear of the car and a more aggressive front nose. The back of the car is 6 inches wider than stock to accommodate the 315 on 12 inch rims.
There are a variety of ways it can be painted.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0381.PNGIMG_0389.PNGIMG_0390.PNG Doesn't come with any wiring or lighting. Only a direct replacement for a stock lens/ bezel

Oh.  My.  Gawd.

That is a beautiful site.

OK - the important questions:

1.  How much?

2.  When can I get a pair (or two)?

Beautiful!

It does look different.

The big questions is it legal?? Does it have DOT approval like all tail lights have to have before they can go on the road?

Look at the current lens and you will see a number on the center back up light lens. SAE-TSIAR-71MG

That was assigned when the lens was approved for use.

If you sell the lens and someone gets hit in the rear you better have very good liability insurance to cover you.

Not up to speed on what or who tests currently. There are requirements for about anything that goes on a car as far as lighting. Height above ground, brightness, color, size etc, etc.

Do some checking before you go too far.

It does look different.

The big questions is it legal?? Does it have DOT approval like all tail lights have to have before they can go on the road?

Look at the current lens and you will see a number on the center back up light lens. SAE-TSIAR-71MG

If you sell the lens and someone gets hit in the rear you better have very good liability insurance to cover you.

Not up to speed on what or who tests currently. There are requirements for about anything that goes on a car as far as lighting. Height above ground, brightness, color, size etc, etc.

Thanks for for the heads up. Hadn't checked that out. 

It does look different.

I don't know about Canada, but here in the good ole USA . After market parts sold like that are labeled, not legal for street use,off road use only, then it's up the the purchasers to deal with street use legality. I'm not an attorney or any such thing but I had a custom shop where we sold lots of after market tail lights manufactured by different companies and all were labeled , off road use only. Maybe an avenue to consider. They are very cool looking for sure. Good luck. On another note wouldn't be so bad if you had the only pair in the world on your car Angelo. Then If you get stopped, just act dumb. If it's a cool,cop he'll let ya go . Don't know how your Mounties are but not many cool,staties down here.

It does look different.

...get some "off-road use only stickers" with real good adhesive and stick them right in the middle of the lens, kinda like the "wattage warning stickers" every light fixture manufacturer sticks right on the front of the fixture...then we can all curse you out as we try to remove them   rofl

It does look different.

...get some "off-road use only stickers" with real good adhesive and stick them right in the middle of the lens, kinda like the "wattage warning stickers" every light fixture manufacturer sticks right on the front of the fixture...then we can all curse you out as we try to remove them   rofl

Lol. 

Did somebody say for off-road use only ?

1972Mustang4x4finisheda.jpg

If they're functioning properly, nobody is going to pull anybody over to inspect for a DOT emblem.   :rolleyes:

If you get pulled over for speeding or something else, the odds are extremely low that the LEO will even give [properly functioning] tail lights a second thought.

Not that much worry about the police just liability. Attorneys are just looking for ways to make money and a rear end crash because lights were change and not approved could cost millions.

Just like the blue dot tail lights lots of classics have are not legal due to police using the blue lights now. They don't enforce it because there are so few. If every car had they would jump all over it.

Have you seen the latest big buck law suits on the improper handicap parking spots. Some attorney figured out he could actually pay for the better view with Google Earth and go around and look at stores parking layout. When he would find one not to code he would sue and get tens of thousands. He never left his office and was not handicapped either.

It is pitiful what people get sued for. I did not market a couple of my inventions due to liabilities that my attorney pointed out to me.

There are LED taillights that are also reflectors. Some time ago I was looking at some rectangular ones, trying to come up with a way to mount them behind the stock bezel. I believe they were Superbrights, but the only one they show now is square. There are several on Amazon that are advertised as stop, turn, and taillights but none of them are DOT approved. I don't know how they're getting away with it, it'll probably hit the fan someday after a lawyer gets involved after a fatal crash. They go after the "deep pockets" and Amazon certainly has those.

Seems we hit a nerve. Would now be a bad time for some lawyer jokes because the ones that make suing their lottery need a SERIOUS dose of what they deal out to others. My affliction in life is the pursuit of fairness. Many times it brings out the worst in me when I see someone being bullied or taken advantage of I lose my cool and lawyers misusing the law for profit are bullies. I was the equalizer all through school so bullies wouldn't show and for the most part we had piece. Now it's all different. I Don't mean to get off topic. I will be happy to fill orders for anyone who wants a set but there will be labels and notifications a plenty that they are not tested or government approved lenses and are for off road use only. I'm

Prepared to deal with my own car and its tail lights but that's as far as it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably safe in Canada from people suing over that. Or every vehicle in an accident with aftermarket HIDs or LEDs that was in a collision would be in one.

Just sell them as a member and not as a business.

Back