71 Coupe 460/T56

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkelchner4

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Coupe 302 2V
86 F-350 351W
07 Honda Civic

I own a 1971 Mustang Coupe, originally a 302 2V, now with an ATK crate engine and new C4 transmission (not so new, drives like junk). I have a 460 Big Block Stroker making 475 Horsepower and a C6 Transmission. Both are brand new, nevermind used besides engine dyno. I want to sell the C6, Buy a T56, then swap that in. I'd like 31 Spline axles and a 4.11 rear. How should I go about this? What parts do would I need? Has anyone done this? I have good fabrication and welding skills.

Thanks!

First off, welcome to the forum.  You will find a lot of support for whatever your plans are for your Mustang. 

Second, I really dig that gas cap.  And that's a heck of a looker of a car too!

I believe, and someone will correct me if I am wrong, that the 460 is part of the same 385 engine family that the 429 belonged to.  That's good news.  It means getting the engine into the engine bay shouldn't be too bad since the 429 was a factory option.

I assume you are going with headers? I think they are the same for the two engines.

I think the motor mounts are available, that would be the other pain.

Most of the fab work will be done for the T56.  Probably use an original pedal assembly and either cables or hydraulics for the clutch.

Bigger springs up front to deal with the extra weight.

Traction control in the back including traction bars (shelby style at a minimum, no slappers) and with that amount of horse power you will want to add in some subframe connectors.   A monte carlo bar probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking coupe

429/460 mostly just different stroke and they also share some minor similarities with the Cleveland engine such as Distributor and some valve train parts

I put a 460 in a 1979 Aussie Falcon, just needed engine mount brackets and used tri-Y headers which were an easy fit

Great car and loads of torque but even with the C6 had trouble keeping the tyres from spinning

Good luck with the swap and will watch your progress

For the headers, I don't want to risk having fitment issues with long tubes, so I was thinking block huggers and fabricating an exhaust to get pretty close to the stock location. I already know the T56 is shorter in length, likely requiring the engine to get moved back about 2 inches. This would have the shifter come up in the factory's location. I was also considering some kind of forced induction... Turbo would like the T56's longer gears. First I need my daily back from the auto shop before I can hack up the mustang, hit a deer recently. 

I will be going with hydraulic clutch because mechanical would be a pain to get right. Not sure what clutch, I don't ever plan to go over 750 horsepower, just have a goal of 10 second street car, with streetability (aka gas mileage from double overdrive) to road trip to the beach in the summer and to OCMD cruise week. 

As for the rear, I want something capable of putting the power down with slicks. 31 Spline Detroit Locker should be fine. 

I want this car to be able to corner, and have already done suspension upgrades, I'm looking at 275s in the front and 295s in the rear. I don't know what to look for with brakes, as I've seen positive and negative reviews on all the major companies. What do you guys run on your cars?

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate any suggestions or tech tips.

Just got my new dakota digital gauges. Figured I should get a good set since none of my gauges except speedometer worked before, small investment to prevent damage to the 460. They're in the car as of tonight but I need to finish up wiring tomorrow morning.

Great choice of gauges! Mine are the exact same, really nice quality! :)
I agree Daniel. I hooked them up today and drove it to lunch, everything works great except I accidentally left the switches behind the gauges so I have to tear everything apart again.  lollerz

I'm in search of good 17" wheels, I really want these VN427 with Nitto NT555ZRs, but they're around $2,000, and I don't want to dump that much in wheels. I have 285/40/17s from my brothers mustang I can use, just looking for a good wheel that will look good on a 71-73. Any suggestions?

It's funny you mentioned FR500, I've been looking at them for the past hour and they look great for the money! I've can only get them in 10.5" and 9" for 17s, and they have the backspace I'd need for the rear but I'm clueless on the front backspacing/offset. I'd like a 245 or 255 up front. I would greatly appreciate the help.

It's funny you mentioned FR500, I've been looking at them for the past hour and they look great for the money! I've can only get them in 10.5" and 9" for 17s, and they have the backspace I'd need for the rear but I'm clueless on the front backspacing/offset. I'd like a 245 or 255 up front. I would greatly appreciate the help.
I am running 17 x 8 Bullitt take-offs from a 1994-2004 Mustang with 245/45's in front. I had to use a 1.25" spacer in front. Not sure what that makes the actual backspacing.

Just bought 17x9 and 17x10.5 FR500 wheels, also going to pick up the 460 Saturday, I'll post pictures when I get the chance. For now I'm in no position to do a T56 swap, since I was quoted over $5,000 for it, so I'm settling for a built C6. The 460 has ported iron heads, unknown cam (sounds pretty aggressive), edelbrock dominator aluminum intake, forged internals, and a 750 double pumper carb. Should be good for around 450-500 horsepower. Gotta figure something out for the rear end since it's not a track-loc. I want to roast off my old tires

I like the old school gauge look. That said yours is quite appealing. POst a day time shot...

I'm in search of good 17" wheels, I really want these VN427 with Nitto NT555ZRs, but they're around $2,000, and I don't want to dump that much in wheels. I have 285/40/17s from my brothers mustang I can use, just looking for a good wheel that will look good on a 71-73. Any suggestions?

I love those wheels, but I'm bias. When I upgraded my 65 fastback from 4 wheel drum to to 14" Baer brake front and rear I needed 17" wheels. Those are what I went with. Took me 9 weeks to get those wheels and brakes. I been thinking of putting them on the 72 Mach I have in the shop for restoration to see how they look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back