Any secret tips for Rear Window Molding installation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManniB

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hi,

I'm looking for tips on how to install the moldings of my rear window ('71 Mach 1). The last time I attempted this ended with some bent and dented moldings. I've ordered a new set of hopefully better quality this time (NPD), and I want to avoid damaging them again.

My problem seems to be that the force necessary to press in the moldings is more than they can stand.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

- Manfred

Last edited by a moderator:
There is one producer, Dynacorn. They are soft aluminum, not properly formed at the ends and they will ALL dent/bend when installed using original clips. I found this out the hard way. Find an original set without major dents, strip the anodizing, use progressively finer sand paper to remove imperfections, buff. Short of not using the clips and trying to "glue" them in place they will all bend.

Chuck

Guys,

thanks for the answers so far, but you are sure shattering my hopes. However, I'm still waiting for the "killer trick" in installing the moldings.

Let me add another question: Has anyone sucessfully installed (aftermarket) rear window moldings.If yes, how did you do it?

Regards from Bavaria, Manfred

i've bent mine also, but it was a long time ago, i guess the killer trick is you need the trim puller tool that has pointy ends that grab the green clip for the molding. when you put the molding back you use the tool to hold the clip back a little and you carefully push it into place that relieves the stress on the aluminum molding because otherwise you have to slap it into place which is why it bents. So slip the tool in grab each clip one at a time and hold it back a little and push down on the molding to seat it then let go of the clip and push on the lip of the molding just a little were the top of the green clip catches it.

my original molding was pretty bent up before i did anything, and i had to remove it to work on my rear window and when i pushed it back into place i really wasn't trying very hard not to damage it since i figured i would replace it in the future anyway

The repro moldings are crap. They are soft like butter. I learn this on the hard way, they are expensive especially with the shipping to germany. Never see a more worse repro part.

I buy a used set from Motocity Mustang , the original are much better and easyer to install. I use the clip tool and grease on the clips.

The tips using the removal tool and some grease on the clips sound good. I will give it a try this weekend with the reproduction moldings I've got. If it doesn't work, I will hunt for some used ones. I will let you know how it turns out.

Regards, Manfred

OK guys, I give up!!!

Today I tried to install the second set of repro rear window moldings and failed completely :-((( Even with grease on the clips and using the removal tool, the force to push the moldings into the clips is greater than what it takes to bend them.

So now I'm looking for a set of user or NOS moldings. Any ideas where to find them???

Thank you, Manfred (depressed)

Manfred, Even if you find a set of NOS moldings the cost will be VERY high. If you can find a set with no large bends or large dents or creases, I can tell you how to refinish them inexpensively. It take some time, about 4 hours a piece but the results are excellent. I did almost every piece of trim on my car this way. The vendors on this site is a good place to start or post a "want to buy" here. I have spare drip moldings but no window moldings. I'll ask people I know locally to se if I can find a set.

Chuck

Try Mike at Motorcity Mustangs. He's found me every OEM part I've needed and a great person to deal with.

Manfred, Even if you find a set of NOS moldings the cost will be VERY high. If you can find a set with no large bends or large dents or creases, I can tell you how to refinish them inexpensively. It take some time, about 4 hours a piece but the results are excellent. I did almost every piece of trim on my car this way. The vendors on this site is a good place to start or post a "want to buy" here. I have spare drip moldings but no window moldings. I'll ask people I know locally to se if I can find a set.

Chuck
I would love to here your tips on refinishing the moldings. because when I get my car painted. I will either need to get new ones or refinish the original

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to have no major creases on An edge line or in a place that you can not make tool to get to. The home made "tools" are usually small and made of wood. It is basically hammer and dolly on a small scale. Very small hammers can be purchase cheaply from harbor freight. You take out the small dents as best you can using you improvised tools. Small hammer light taps until you are satisfied that more work will be counter productive. Spry the piece with Easy-Off Heavy Duty oven cleaner (yellow can). Let sit 20 minutes, rinse and dry. You likely will need to do this twice, second time 15 minutes. If you forget and leave it on too long it will pit the aluminum severely. Pay attention and DO NOT inhale this stuff or get it in your eyes. This process removes the very hard anodizing from the aluminum. Start with 220 grit wet or dry sand paper with water. Sand along the long axis of the piece. Use the 220 until all the scratches are gone and any high spots are removed. What you don't fix at this step will likely be visible when you are done. From this point on you are just trading large scratches for progressively smaller ones. The more steps in progressive finer paper you use the better the finished product. I use 220, 400, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000. Next you need 2 cloth buffing wheels that can be mounted to your grinder. If you lack experience with a buffing practice on something to develop technique. Too much force or the really wrong angle will damage/ruin the piece and possibly injure you. I use the Sears white and polishing compound, in bar form. Apply some to the wheel, doesn't take a lot and buff the piece. Apply a little bit frequently rather than a lot at one time, more is not better. If possible the last buffing pass should be on the long axis. Put the second buffing wheel on and use the sears blue compound to final buff. I'm sure there are other compounds that work as well and possibly better than Sears but it is available almost everywhere. The cost of re-anodizing is prohibitively expensive and not accessible to many people. So, you have two choices. Clear coat or leave natural (just wax). I choose to leave natural. This way if I need to touch up some minor scratches I can. It is a lot of work and requires patience. The results are very good and the cost is a very small fraction of what you would pay to have them professionally reconditioned ( I was quoted $150-$200 for each piece). If you have questions e-mail or PM me. I'll give you my phone number and we can talk. My typing skills are limited and exhaust me when I use them.

Good Luck,

Chuck

You need to have no major creases on An edge line or in a place that you can not make tool to get to. The home made "tools" are usually small and made of wood. It is basically hammer and dolly on a small scale. Very small hammers can be purchase cheaply from harbor freight. You take out the small dents as best you can using you improvised tools. Small hammer light taps until you are satisfied that more work will be counter productive. Spry the piece with Easy-Off Heavy Duty oven cleaner (yellow can). Let sit 20 minutes, rinse and dry. You likely will need to do this twice, second time 15 minutes. If you forget and leave it on too long it will pit the aluminum severely. Pay attention and DO NOT inhale this stuff or get it in your eyes. This process removes the very hard anodizing from the aluminum. Start with 220 grit wet or dry sand paper with water. Sand along the long axis of the piece. Use the 220 until all the scratches are gone and any high spots are removed. What you don't fix at this step will likely be visible when you are done. From this point on you are just trading large scratches for progressively smaller ones. The more steps in progressive finer paper you use the better the finished product. I use 220, 400, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000. Next you need 2 cloth buffing wheels that can be mounted to your grinder. If you lack experience with a buffing practice on something to develop technique. Too much force or the really wrong angle will damage/ruin the piece and possibly injure you. I use the Sears white and polishing compound, in bar form. Apply some to the wheel, doesn't take a lot and buff the piece. Apply a little bit frequently rather than a lot at one time, more is not better. If possible the last buffing pass should be on the long axis. Put the second buffing wheel on and use the sears blue compound to final buff. I'm sure there are other compounds that work as well and possibly better than Sears but it is available almost everywhere. The cost of re-anodizing is prohibitively expensive and not accessible to many people. So, you have two choices. Clear coat or leave natural (just wax). I choose to leave natural. This way if I need to touch up some minor scratches I can. It is a lot of work and requires patience. The results are very good and the cost is a very small fraction of what you would pay to have them professionally reconditioned ( I was quoted $150-$200 for each piece). If you have questions e-mail or PM me. I'll give you my phone number and we can talk. My typing skills are limited and exhaust me when I use them.

Good Luck,

Chuck
200% agree with your precedure... You actually can fix everithing that is no broke apart... I thing the only process this trims doesn´t support is to weld them if they are cracked...

I didn´t know the product that takes off the anodized and dont know if i understand really good wht this product is...

What i did on mines (actually i fixed 50% but i´m planning on do the job again) was remove the anodized with a machine i use to apply mirror shine to some metals in my dad´s lamp factory and then, fix dent by dent, bend the holw thing till it went back to its original alingment and then, did the careful sand proccess and end up finishing it with polishing products and materials...

I did not clear coat them yet because i have to improve the quality of the job by doing again, besides, i have everything to take good care of the bare aluminium so... claear coating them in the middle of the restoring proccess was not an option...

Anyway... those trims are on the car since september last year and i didn´t polish them again yet... They are as good as the first day...

The only difference i can apreciate is that the anodice process gives the trim a slightly different shine that the polishing process so if you do the polishing thing in one piece of the rear window trim, you are going to need to polish the all 4 to make them match

For me this is the way to go if you still have the original trim... It is a thing you can spend few days to do it good and quiet but it is totally worth!

Latest posts

Back