Show us your valve covers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I want to start a thread where we can post pictures of your engine and valve covers. Please tell us what type of valve covers you are using. I am trying to decide which covers to use of the many options available, but I seem to be more undecided than when I started. There are chromed, polished, black, blue, any color, with fins, etc....

Please post at least one picture of the engine in the car to so we can see how the valve covers look and match the engine bay.

Thanks!

PS: my apologies if a similar thread already exists, and please direct me to it. A search for valve covers turn out 28 pages of results.

I start with my chromed valve covers, which I don't like. Don't know much about them since they came with the car.

I guess they are hard to see them under the big RAM Air cleaner and hoses.

Last edited by a moderator:
After trying the chrome Ford Racing covers I finally found a set of OEM 429 aluminum valve covers. The chrome ones leaked and rusted - these have been on since 2005 with no leaks and no oxidation.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2778478/Pics/Carbed1.jpg[/img]

Here you go. Haven't decided for sure yet. I also have a set of the black Ford Motorsport ones like Mike and I frankly like those better but I would need to clearance the oil baffles to clear my roller rockers and I would hate to cut up a good set of these.

free gif hosting

Aftermarket aluminum covers, they don't leak. About the only thing on this damn Ford that doesn't leak.
That's temping.  What gasket and install method?

I actually think part of my problem is the PCV might not be correct.  I purchased an aftermarket adjustable PCV but have not installed it yet.

Aftermarket aluminum covers, they don't leak. About the only thing on this damn Ford that doesn't leak.
That's temping.  What gasket and install method?

I actually think part of my problem is the PCV might not be correct.  I purchased an aftermarket adjustable PCV but have not installed it yet.

I just use cork gaskets w/the black sealant that is already on them. Tighten gradually for the first time. Re-tighten after first engine warm-up, again very gradual. You can feel when they are seated good, just don't over tighten.

They can be reused a few times if you need to re-move the valve covers in the future. I've had mine off a couple times & reused the gaskets with no leaks.

Here are my cast aluminum Ford Racing ones.  I painted all the black, blue to match the rest of the car.  I also got tired of polishing so I had them clear powder coated.  Now they just need a quick wipe down.  No cleaning out polish in the grooves.

Here are my cast aluminum Ford Racing ones.  I painted all the black, blue to match the rest of the car.  I also got tired of polishing so I had them clear powder coated.  Now they just need a quick wipe down.  No cleaning out polish in the grooves.

There are valve covers in this photo? I can't stop looking at the blower. SWEET.

I want to start a thread where we can post pictures of your engine and valve covers. Please tell us what type of valve covers you are using. I am trying to decide which covers to use of the many options available, but I seem to be more undecided than when I started. There are chromed, polished, black, blue, any color, with fins, etc....

Please post at least one picture of the engine in the car to so we can see how the valve covers look and match the engine bay.

Thanks!

PS: my apologies if a similar thread already exists, and please direct me to it. A search for valve covers turn out 28 pages of results.
Blue Thunder covers for me as well.  Additional clearance was nice to have but I really liked the threaded fittings for the breather, PCV and oil fill ports.  The fasteners are unique as well as the are recessed into the casting.  Blue Thunder products are very well made.

get a photo url

Back