quarter skin replacement advise

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casperfast

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach one 351 Cleveland, 95 eagle talon awd 744hp@38psi, 95 eagle talon fwd, is nismo titan.
next week I'm going to to start replacing the quarter panel skins on my 72. I have a plasma,  cut off wheels,  air body saw,  electric body saw and an air flanger. I'm trying to decide if I want to line it up,  trace and cut half inch down then flange to set the new panel in.  or trace cut and butt word or attache the new panel and cut them togather and but weld that way.  have never done this type of body work but i'm no fool, so I'm asking for opinions and ideas in how this can work the best for me.  I've already replaced the floor in the car,  and the engine is solid.  the quarters are all that's left to start young the paint prep to the car.  thanks guys!!!!

I would butt weld it. It's a little harder than overlap but when done right makes for an invisible repair. I just did this on the 71 I'm working on. First trace with a sharpie how high your new panel is up the car. Then cut with cutoff wheel few inches below your line. Do this all way around. Fit the panel again and get it where you want it and hold it in place with self tapping screws. I then use a air powered body saw and cut through both panels at same time. This will make for a perfect seam. Remove panel and punch holes at front, back, and wheel well. Grind and prep for weld. Make sure you move around a lot so you don't warp the panel. I even keep a wet rag with me to cool the welds. Bounce around a lot or you will warp it. Same thing when grinding. Move around and don't overheat the metal. That's biggest mistake most people make. I even climbed inside of the trunk and ground the weld down on inside and you would never know that quarter panel was replaced. Let me know if you have any questions. There's lots of ways to do this, but this way works for me. You can also check out my build thread for all the pics of replacing the panels. https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-new-project-for-this-winter-71-mach-1

photo hosting sites

image processing services

Last edited by a moderator:
YES!!!!! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!! thank you so much!!!

As Kevin and NG8264723 said, "butt weld" is the way to go.  I flanged mine, and it shrank the edge of the factory sheet metal so bad, mine were a surfer's delight once I finished welding them up.  So bad, that on the passenger side, I ripped the skin back off, ordered a new one, and 3M glued it back on (which I liked better, to be honest - and since mine's a restomod that I'll never sell, I didn't really care how I got it back on).

Kevin's pics are the best, but if you want to see an example of what not to do (with the flanger), click on the FB album link in my signature and scroll down about halfway through the 400 pics to the quarter panel replacement 'section.'  ;)

Can't say enough how awesome that came out, Kevin.  ::thumb::

Never do the flange and overlap a panel if you want it to be invisible. Butt is the only way to go or replace the entire panel. I think entire panel is easier myself. When you do the overlap after a few years you can see it in the paint and always see it inside the car. With butt you can grind and dress both sides and it is not there. Full panel puts all work where the factory did it and nobody knows.

turtle, I noticed that my panels are also too short overall length like the one you installed. I did like where you split it and filled. seems to be the best spot. any other advise you can remember I would appreciate. I read your build thread of that yellow car. great work man. you make this look easy.... I can already tell it's not. I've only got one side half done.

turtle,  I noticed that my panels are also too short overall length like the one you installed.  I did like where you split it and filled.  seems to be the best spot.  any other advise you can remember I would appreciate.  I read your build thread of that yellow car.  great work man.  you make this look easy....  I can already tell it's not.  I've only got one side half done.
Post up some pics of your progress. We will take a look and see if we can give you anymore pointers. Main thing with a quarter panel is to make sure you have it where you want it before you cut or weld!! Make sure your gaps are good at door and your body lines line up properly. Self tapping screws and clamps are your friend during the fitting process. DO NOT put too much heat to the panel. It is thin and will distort easily. That's one of the hardest things for new guys to get used to when doing butt welds. But if you move your welds around on the panel a lot and don't grind the crap out of it you should be good. I carry a wet rag with me also and after each tack weld I cool it with the rag. Once you get the hang of it its pretty easy. Your just cutting and welding! If I remember right I had 2 evenings in replacing the rear quarter. Post up some pics, take your time, have a beer. You got this! Let me know if you have any other specific questions! ::thumb::

Also another thing I forgot to mention is to make sure you also fit you quarter panel extensions. You don't want a mis alignment back there either. Once I had mine pretty close I finished the welding and grinding. When it came time for mud work, I installed the quarter panel extensions and ran my mud all the way back over the joint/seam of the panel and extension and block sanded everything perfectly level. This way ensures that they are matched perfect. Once they are perfectly level, I unbolt the extensions and give them a little tap with my hand and break them loose carefully. Then use some fine paper to touch up  and round the edges slightly. Once its painted and assembled it fits perfectly. Not sure if this is how others do it but it works for me.

I have seen people add welds a little at a time to make the panels fit. It looks like you need to do that to make the lower edge fit the door

Yes I had to split mine in the front and back edge to get it to fit properly approx.,4-5".  Your getting closer but still have some tweaking to do. Sorry I forgot to mention that the front bottom of the quarter panel lip that meets the rocker is made with the wrong angle. It will hit the rocker and not let the quarter panel set down far enough to line up the door body line. If I remember right you will need to make a cut at each side of that bend. And take a pair of duck nose pliers and bend that tab up more. I usually bend it further than I need to, then get quarter panel where I want it and use a body hammer to tap the tab/flange down flush on the rocker from inside the car. You will need to have your rear interior quarter trim off to do this. You will also want to have 2 or 3 holes punched in that flange to get good spot welds on top of the rocker from inside the car. You will need to have holes punched all way around the wheel well lip, front door jamb, and rear taillight panel area. In these areas you can use a combination of small c clamps and self tapping screws. Once you have the fit to your liking make sure you put a couple screws along the overlap seam before you cut. This way as you are cutting through both panels they stay close together and you get a good clean cut through both pieces. For the final cut through both pieces of your butt seam, I recommend using a good body saw with a fresh blade. I have used a whiz wheel for this before, but it removes a lot of material and makes the gap harder to fill and weld for a beginner. The tighter the gap the easier it is to weld, the less heat you have to put to it, and less likelihood of warpage. Keep plugging along you will get it. And do not weld anything till you are 100% satisfied with the fitment.  That's what's nice about self tappers and c-clamps, they are moveable and not permanent. Heres a pic of the duck nose pliers, if you don't have a set I would get some. They are handy as hell for making nice small bends by hand. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress and if you have any other questions let us know.

yea, I did cut the sides and bend the lower flap to make that for. I'm glad I'm not the only one that saw the incorrect lower angle. I am actually going to be welding the gap between the rocker and the lower quarter shut on both sides since I am doing both side quarters. I'm no where close to a beginner welder. just not where near a body guy haha. I appreciate the help. I did install the extension the get the correct height and depth in the rear so I'm close to securing it all down and cutting the panels togather

oh and I just canned my pos body saw and picked up the new mac gear drive so the cuts will be smooth as butter.

Nice freaking air saw!!! You will be well on your way. Sorry I didn't realize you weren't a beginner welder. Since you have that experience you will pick this body stuff up quickly. Sheetmetal is very easy to replace once you get the hang of it. No for the body work and filler that's a whole nother story!! LOL I am still really slow at it and it usually takes me multiple tries to get it right! If all I had to do was weld and replace panels , I would be in great shape!! I hate the body work part of it. Well good luck and keep us posted on the progress!!

awesome. thank you. another thing I was concerned about... filler. I've used regular old Bond, but I know there is better stuff. any recommendations that won't break the bank?

awesome. thank you. another thing I was concerned about... filler. I've used regular old Bond, but I know there is better stuff. any recommendations that won't break the bank?
I use Evercoat Rage Xtreme or gold. It's a few bucks more a gallon than most but what's $10-15 in an overall project. It's very easy to spread, minimal pinholes and sands easy.

I think I'm ready for my final cut and to start welding. how does this look? I know this repro panel is way off. but with the trimming and massaging I've done it think it should look about right.

free gif hosting

image upload

Back