Another Marti report question: Steel Guard Rails?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfeverrr

Reaction score
My Car
'71 351C coupe
Well, ownership of this '71 Grande really keeps on proving that even after 43 years of various classic Mustangs ownership, I can still learn something new!

The invoice I just got from Marti lists "Steel Guard Rails" as one of the standard items that came with the Grande model equipment on the car. What the heck is that referring to??? I'm guessing that it's just a fancy name for something fairly mundane, but I'd still like to know! (A Google search gave no explanation, just cars listed for sale with that in their description).

Thanks -

Mustangfeverrr, that is a safety item that by 1972 was on all Ford manufactured passenger cars across the entire product line. The "Steel Guard Rail" was a reinforcement inside the door that was designed to absorb and deflect side impacts in that area and provide greater occupant protection. Since performance was on the way out, safety was one of the new words for the day back then. I had a 72 Gran Torino to take a hit in that area and can tell you they do work!

door 3 (5).jpg

door 1.png

Back