Identifying Cut Wires

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1
On my 72 Mach 1, the air conditioning was removed by a former owner.  It also looks like a neutral safety switch connector was cut after a connection.  I've recently figured out that a former owner re-painted the engine compartment and interior black because the marti report says that the car was ginger/gold-glo.  But in the process, all of the wires were painted black.  It's been fun trying to rub off the paint to see what is what.

So two questions -- does anyone one know what this larger cut wire with the blue cap goes to and if there is an easy way to tell which side of the neutral safety switch harness the cut side goes to?   It is a 72 351C with a C6.

Thanks!

site to upload photos

Welcome to the forum! I am not a wiring expert and I don't have my mustang here for reference.

In the first picture I believe that is part of the accessory circuit and perhaps the amp meter/alternator light. Do you have an amp meter or light? Is it working? You might check on the fuse block to see if the accessory post has power. Normally the wire with the blue cap goes to a positive source. If you click on 'mustang data' above the wiring diagrams are available.

I don't get what you are asking on the second picture. I don't see any cut wires.

The wire in the first pic is an accessory wire Black with Yellow Dashes and runs from the solenoid or a terminal block nearby. It has an inline fuse at the solenoid end. If your car was optioned with the convenience group then this wire was connected to a mercury light switch under the hood and trunk lid, It was also connected to seat back latch/unlatch actuators in each of the seat backs (wire harness under the seat) that were triggered by the door jamb button when the door is opened. If your door jamb button has three plug connection (not two) then you car most likely had the wiring for the convenience group option. You could also look in the back of your seats for the unlatch actuator or the connector under the seats. On convertibles it also connected to the roof up/down power switch. On Cougars that had powered adjustable seats were also connected here. Here is a picture of a spare I have. The yellow plug on the dash end has three female plugs 1. Trunk light 2. Seat back latch actuator 3. Convertible roof top power switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great!  Thanks so much! So the accessory wire is the wire with the blue cap.   I'll look for the yellow connector.

will e: In the second pic, there are two connectors that I am fairly sure now go to the neutral safety switch.  The left one is actually cut off right at the edge of the picture so you can't see the cut.   

Can anyone confirm if those are the connectors for the neutral safety switch and and easy way to tell which side goes so what?  I need to order the switch, but I am fairly certain (until I get the part), that both plugs have four connectors.

Thanks again!

There are two square plugs with what appears to be four pins. The one on the left appears to be the back-up lights/neutral safety switch and the second actually only has two pins, and is for the seat belt system. The one on the left looks funky below the two connectors, which is part of the BU/NSS harness itself. The top piece is from the headlight harness and looks intact.

The other two plugs consist of a two pin affair and a four pin flat affair. The four pin consists of a carb anti-stall/backfire emissions control, coil, water temperature and oil pressure signals. The two pin flat is some sort of an emissions plug.

Ok.  So I'll get a replacement safety switch and see how she goes.  I've seen some with one square connector but the one listed for this car has two square connectors and I seem to have two unplugged square connectors.   Thanks again!

Back