Left and right calipers disc brakes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsweden

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1 73 351c
Hi

Whats the difference ? the look the same, one marked 188 and one 780 no more markings. What happens if I mount them wrong ? which caliper goes where ?

Regards Rob

Found a Picture of the calipers so now I know how the set upp should be :)

It definitely makes a difference.  If nothing else, always make sure the bleeder valve is above the line input.  I had mine backward (passenger on driver side, and vice versa) and could never get a good pedal.  Once I figure it out, swapped to the right sides, all was good.

Bleeder needs to point straight up, not to the rear of the car. Mix it up and you'll never get a pedal.
Better said than I did.

Sorry but you are wrong stating the bleed screw should point straight up. It is tapped into the round bore on a tangent. To bleed from the top it has to point horizontally backward.

I know this from first hand because mine had been swapped by the previous owner and we could not get a good pedal. When I got it the screws pointed straight up like so (view from inside behind driver side):

20170330_210745.jpg

Looking at the shop manual you can just work out that the screw should point backwards. Once I swapped them it bled really easily.

I know this is an old post but it relates to the question I was going to ask.

From the pics, it looks like there is a difference between calipers, whether drivers side vs passenger side.

Some posts say the bleeder should be straight up and some say towards the back. Was there any final conclusion as to what the correct way should be?

Does it make any difference?

Thanks!

Hi

I used the Picture above as a reference and it worked out fine. I later swapped them out for Cobra Brakes.

regards rob

Back