Locating my 1971 Ford Mustang Boss 351

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rwilkosz

Reaction score
My Car
1971 ford mustang boss 351

This 1971 Ford Mustang Boss 351 was purchased brand new from J.R. Dall Ford Dealership in Elyria, Ohio.  The car was owned by my uncle who operated a dairy farm in Lagrange, Ohio.  I drove the car while working on the family farm for about about 2-3 years.  My uncle decided to sell the car for a family car.  I regret not purchasing the car from him.

Description:

1971 Ford Mustang Boss 351

Medium Yellow Gold

Hub Cap Wheel covers

I have posted picture.  If anyone has any information related to this post, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

This 1971 Ford Mustang Boss 351 was purchased brand new from J.R. Dall Ford Dealership in Elyria, Ohio.  The car was owned by my uncle who operated a dairy farm in Lagrange, Ohio.  I drove the car while working on the family farm for about about 2-3 years.  My uncle decided to sell the car for a family car.  I regret not purchasing the car from him.

Description:

1971 Ford Mustang Boss 351

Medium Yellow Gold

Hub Cap Wheel covers

I have posted picture.  If anyone has any information related to this post, please let me know.
Do you have VIN  ?

I plan on contacting the DMV in Columbus, Ohio and providing all necessary information to locate the VIN. I doubt my uncle has any other information related to the vehicle. I know he insured the Ford Mustang with Nationwide Insurance, so I may pursue that channel as well.

Stranger things have happened, with less information to go on.

Good luck!

Have you contacted Elyria Ford ? They bought out JR Dall. They sponsor a

Mustang and Ford club, they also put on a large car show every year so some there is a car guy.

The DMV won't help, someone would have to go and find, then search look through paper files... you

can't even get them to look up info on a computer...

Elyria Ford might be your best best... good luck

You could also contact Marti Auto Works and have them do a search. They charge for the service, but I'd bet there was only one Boss in that color sold at that dealer. Once you have the VIN, several of us here have the Boss 351 book done by Rick, and we can see if it's listed.

Steve

+1 on contacting Marti Auto as they should be able to give you the exact vin and from there I would search both in Rick's book and also do a simple google search for the vin number. I'm amazed at how much I find on google searching a vin sometimes.

I contacted Marti Auto with detailed information about my Boss 351 that was delivered new from the dealer.  Marti Auto did confirm there was ample information to identify the vehicle VIN.  I will purchase the vehicle record from Marti Auto and hope to locate the vehicle.  I had some great memories driving the car and only wished the vehicle was never sold.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post.  Now the search is on.

Once you have the Vin contact Rick Ybarra who recently wrote and published the Boss 351 book. He has compiled a registry and may have the car in the registry. The link provided above had a gmail link possibly to him.

Rick and I have been chatting with email and he has been very very helpful.

I hope to have more information soon.  Everyone has been more than helpful and please continue the posts.

I just received my Marti Auto Report based on the information I provided. The report did produce a VIN that matched a VIN that Rick Ybarra provided after our conversation. Turns out the Boss 351 that I enjoyed driving when the vehicle was new is located within close proximity.

Now I need some help trying to determine the owner and the location of the vehicle. It would be great see the vehicle again. Also, I would even make an offer on the vehicle providing the owner would consider selling it.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to approach this task, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the supportive posts.

If Rick gave you a name, call the person, explain your interest is seeing the car again, and set up a meeting at a neutral location (drive in, car show, etc.). I think most owners would love to talk to an original owner to learn more of the history themselves. If you don't have that info, post an ad in the local paper asking for leads, contact the local car clubs, etc., and see if someone can act as an intermediary. After you talk to the owner a bit, you'll have a feeling if they would consider selling. I would leave a card when done visiting and mention if the car is ever for sale, you'd like to be contacted.

Steve

That's about all you can do.  It's never easy getting something back after someone else has made it their own.  Cars are a lot more personal than people realize - and something like a classic muscle car (let alone a highly sought-after collectible, such as a Boss 351), there is a lot involved when you're talking about trying to convince someone that you'd really like to have your car back.

Good luck!

And keep in mind if it doesn't pan out, there are plenty of other 7173 Mustangs out there needing good homes and loving families (cue the Sarah McLachlan music... sorry, couldn't resist  :whistling: ).

+1 on Steve's comments. That sounds like a good plan and the addition of having pictures and the family connection would be a good item to include. I would get a feel for the owners connection to the car and the how realistic they are in their statements on the car. Maybe you could call them back after sharing stories in person and discuss the interest in selling.

I contacted Marti Auto with detailed information about my Boss 351 that was delivered new from the dealer.  Marti Auto did confirm there was ample information to identify the vehicle VIN.  I will purchase the vehicle record from Marti Auto and hope to locate the vehicle.  I had some great memories driving the car and only wished the vehicle was never sold.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post.  Now the search is on.
Thanks to Rick we have been able to confirm that my Boss 351 is located within close proximity of my area.  We are trying to determine the exact location but with added caution.  I do not want to upset the owner in anyway.

I would love to see the old muscle car again after such great memories.  If interested, share some vehicle history with the owner. Obviously if at some point he decided to sell, provide me an opportunity to make a reasonable offer for the vehicle.  It's good to know the vehicle continues to survive after all those years.

Dude - this is exciting!  All that research and work is paying off (at least for an opportunity to see your old wheels if nothing else).

I'm stoked for ya - I hope things go well and hope you get a chance to get your car back.

Back