radiator filled with Evans coolant

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At $40/gallon it will be expensive but it is probably a good investment. I have it in a 1970 Jaguar XKE but it came that way, all I know is so far no issues but it really hasn't been long enough to make a judgement.

Can anybody tell me how to remove over 97% of water based coolant? I would like to try this when purchasing a new radiator.

I think NASCAR banned the use of it because it was way more difficult to clean up the track after a crash.  It did raise the boil point but they just use water because of clean up efforts.

I still use just Prestone but I only use distilled water to mix so there are no minerals to clog the radiator.

I do not know what Ford put in my F-150 back in 2002 but with 275,000 miles I have never removed the radiator cap, never added any coolant, never changed a hose of any kind and that engine has aluminum and iron in it.

In the past the biggest issue I have had is the core plugs, sometimes incorrectly called freeze plugs, would rust out and leak. In the old engines, flatheads, the metal rings around the water ports would rust and head gasket would leak.

I guess everything has it's + & - and price is big one here.

When you do a rebuild if you soak the block in your molasses tank the water jacket will look like new iron and get rid of all the crap that causes cooling issues due to blocked radiator. Clean Clean Clean the heads and block. If your engine is built correct and turned correct there should never be an overheat issue unless you sit and idle in traffic a lot.

The example Jay showed where the aluminum was eaten up they used the wrong formula antifreeze to cause that severe damage, not normal.

Can anybody tell me how to remove over 97% of water based coolant?   I would like to try this when purchasing a new radiator.
The Evan's prep fluid is probably the easiest way to do it. Even on engines that have petcocks or drain plugs for the water jackets I don't believe that it would be possible. Blowing the coolant out of the heater core and removing the lower radiator hose would still leave a lot more then 3% of the coolant in the block, heads, and water pump.

the biggest advantage to using this to me is the lower pressure. It will fatigue the gaskets less and hopefully prevent any premature gasket failures.

Back