front disc brake on my 73 vert

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The master cylinder is the correct one for disk brakes. The booster is a double diaphragm type that is a smaller diameter and longer then the original, it should work OK, but won't look correct.

It will not work (the booster).

I bought one from NPD thinking it would work OK... but when it showed up, I compared the mounting point to the original booster I pulled off the car, and the holes didn't line up at all.  So, there's no way that booster will even mount up to the firewall.

I looked online and found this site, who makes absolute correct replacement boosters for our cars.  http://www.gpsbrakes.com

I bought one, installed, it, and it's working perfectly.

I wouldn't bother with the NPD unit.  In fact, if you want one, I have the NPD unit I purchased (still/back in the box) that I'll be happy to sell you. ;)  rofl

It will not work (the booster).

I bought one from NPD thinking it would work OK... but when it showed up, I compared the mounting point to the original booster I pulled off the car, and the holes didn't line up at all.  So, there's no way that booster will even mount up to the firewall.

I looked online and found this site, who makes absolute correct replacement boosters for our cars.  http://www.gpsbrakes.com

I bought one, installed, it, and it's working perfectly.

I wouldn't bother with the NPD unit.  In fact, if you want one, I have the NPD unit I purchased (still/back in the box) that I'll be happy to sell you. ;)  rofl
The GPS Brakes Booster is not 'Absolutely Correct'.

It looks superficially similar but it is smaller 8" OD instead of the original 9" OD. Doesn't sound much but put them side by side and it's very obvious.

Also I believe the GPS units are not rebuildable while your factory original Booster is 

It made no financial sense for me to return my core for rebuilding from the UK to the US so I purchased a refurbished factory booster from West Coast Classic Cougar and it did the job perfectly.

I'll take your word for that, because honestly - just having the mounting bolt holes actually line-up was all I needed to see.

I don't recall the size difference... but then again, I don't believe I went to the level of scrutinization as you might've gone.

What I do know:

•  
  • WCCC had nothing for me when I asked them...
  • Nobody had any refurbs on the shelf or otherwise and rebuilding a core would've taken 2-4 months (I checked through my local O'Reilly Auto Parts)...
  • NPD sent me something completely different than what they advertised...
  • I ordered the GPS Brakes product which fit and works perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback. I had Oval repair installed them and they had no issue with the booster or the master cylinder. Then painted them black so they do not standout. The performance of the brakes now is excellent. Now I am not happy that I was driving around with crap brakes all that time. Oval is a great shop to take a Mustang to. You know your at the right place when you see a 72 Mach one on the alignment rack. Here is a photo they posted on facebook of my car.

John J

Last edited by a moderator:
Back